Tiger Eye Maple Tokai Finally Arrived with a Cracked Neck =(

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipped in a steady hardcase but the Swedish Post abused it and managed to break the guitar. Not a horrible break but it feels like I wanna sit in the shower and repeat "dirty, feel so dirty".

Interesting you mention that the box was just 3" high.
My friend who uses Rinkya a lot just complained that they pack like **** lately.
He just had a Super Real smashed due to poor packing from Rinkya :cry:

DSC08870.jpg

I would stop flexing it before you make it worse and the 1996 LS-70 is poly not nitro and will have a veneer top. In saying that, that is the most beautiful top i have seen in a very long time.

Mick

Hey Mick, thanks for the heads up. I will Nitro test it later but I promise you it is not veneered, it is a solid top. I looked it over and over and no veneer on this beauty!

That is very unusual mate. I would have thought you had a bargain that was sold as that wrong model but it has the LS-70 in the cavity, and as you said it relates to the current LS-100's or similar which are all laminates. The only way you got a top like that on a lower model was if it was a veneer. Actually there have been quite a few threads on guitars that guys thought were solid tops only to discover that Tokai use wafer thin veneers on their guitars and can nbe extremely hard to see, either way its a shame about the break but i am sure it will still turn out to be an awesome guitar. I just love the colour and the top grain....

Mick

If the neck is correctly repaired it will probably sound better than before the break. One of my Les Pauls fell off the guitar stand and as almost always the case, the neck cracked. After I repaired it the guitar sounds better than ever (more mass in the headstock). Also, if the repair is made correctly it will never break there again. Actually Gibson should break all their necks and then glue them back to remedy the problem or add a valute like the old days, as well as it makes for a better guitar neck. Just my 2 cents worth.

mojo hobo said:
S**t UDO! :(
I just noticed and read your post ,you ve been getting some bad luck with guitars this year and its only 5 days old.Jesus i was about to e-mail you as well.

Nothing i can say will help , to see that beautiful tokai in that state it makes me sick,just sending you my best wishes ,hope you will get a good luither to sort it out,does not help the fact that it has happened :evil:

You need to name and shame! So it will not happen again to you ,another guitar or forum member.
You seem to be rather calm about it,I would not ,but maybe you have had time to calm down a bit.

MOJO HOBO

Haha yeah I was pissed but no point getting upset, nothing can be done about it now other than getting this sucker fixed so I can play it as it has say for 14 years without being touched...what an injustice! I emailed you a short note earlier. Touch base with you tomorrow MH :D

From what I can tell that's an easy repair. Titebond, syringe, few clamps and maybe a little cosmetic touch-up and the neck will be as good as new if not better. The whole trick to the repair is getting the glue all the way into the crack, while making sure the glue doesn't get into the truss rod cavity, that's where the syringe comes in handy. I use a syringe found in most grocery stores for injecting spices into meats, it has a needle large enough to let the Titebond glue flow and yet small enough to get into the crack.

Udonitron said:
Haha yeah I was pissed but no point getting upset, nothing can be done about it now other than getting this sucker fixed?

Well, you're a **** sight more philosphical about it than I'd be, that's for sure! Wouldn't matter quite so much if it wasn't such a stunning, unusual top, but I'd be heartbroken after finding a guitar like that.

Getting paranoid about the Gator case I bought a little while back after reading some of the other comments here.

Yeah I know...I am pissed but now I just want to get this fixed and try to get the sender to do their work with Japan Post to get some compensation! I bought a case off Yahoo Japan to have my Chandler shipped in as it is a 1 out of 25 or so guitars of its kind in existence. I bought this for $75 and it is a **** fine case! Arrived without any issues!

http://www.techra.it/case.html

Udonitron said:
Yeah I know...I am pissed but now I just want to get this fixed and try to get the sender to do their work with Japan Post to get some compensation! I bought a case off Yahoo Japan to have my Chandler shipped in as it is a 1 out of 25 or so guitars of its kind in existence. I bought this for $75 and it is a **** fine case! Arrived without any issues!

http://www.techra.it/case.html
One of the most overlooked items is a good quality (case) when owning or purchasing a guitar. Even a good quality case needs to fit the guitar like a glove. If it doesn't fit correctly the guitar can still get damaged from shifting around in the case. There have been many guitars, especially LP & SG type that have experienced a broken neck, even while stored in the case. I forgot to mention earlier that the signature break your guitar neck has experienced typically happens when the guitar itself falls forward (such as off of a guitar stand) and due to the great force that is constant and pulling forward on the headstock, due to string tension, the neck typically breaks exactly or near where yours has broken. Guitar stands are convenient but they are probably the most responsible for damaged guitars, especially damaged necks.

Easy Crossing said:
Guitar stands are convenient but they are probably the most responsible for damaged guitars, especially damaged necks.

Responsible for more damage than clumsy handling by couriers or airport baggage handlers? :eek: Hmmm....

stratman323 said:
Easy Crossing said:
Guitar stands are convenient but they are probably the most responsible for damaged guitars, especially damaged necks.

Responsible for more damage than clumsy handling by couriers or airport baggage handlers? :eek: Hmmm....
I'm talking about accidental damage/s not the intentionally inflicted type damage/s the carriers and handlers are known for.

What a beautiful top! I agree with the others that you should give it to a very good luthier and you will never know its been repaired.

I had a 1969 Gibson Les Paul gold top that WAS mint get the headstock broken off by the airline coming back from a Dallas guitar show. It was in the hard case and in a heavy shipping box. I was surprised that the airline actually paid me for it. Still a **** shame.

Unfortunately you, or the dealer you bought it from, may not get their claim paid due to the lack of proper packing. If you have ever been in that situation you know the first thing the shipper ask is to see the box and packing. Hope you used a credit card so you have some recourse.

Good luck and congrats on a very nice guitar even with the relatively minor bummer.

UPDATE!!

Just logged into my auction details and had to blink and refresh the page a few times! You will never believe it but Japan Post refunded my entire amount I paid for the guitar PLUS the shipping!!! Haha so I got this for free!! I am now a firm believer in Japan Post's honor and humility! I had a letter from the post office here and some good photos and they did the rest. Now it is time to get this neck repaired so I can play this beauty!! :D

An LS-70 with a solid tiger eye maple top? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it :)

Solid plain maple cap with a tiger eye veneer - I can believe that, as I had one similar about that age.

Post pics of the insides of the pickup cavities, make me a believer!

Edit: as Mick said back in Jan :oops:

Anyway, congratulations!

Back