• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

This Fernandes is old or new

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
cisca said:
jacco said:
it's a EG500

what can you say to me about this guitar?
has a warm sound?

IMO a '78 Greco EG500 will be a pretty average guitar, based on late 70's Grecos I've played that have been higher-end models than this. I would say you could do a lot better!

yuo say that it's nothing special,right?

and about this:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350319543319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4400wt_1165

I have different opinion. I own a 1981 Greco EG500C and it outperforms the EGF850s I have played. It also outperforms a few Historics. So I guess it's really about trying a guitar before you buy.
Greco's tend to have a fat neck by the way, I like that, maybe you don't.

jacco said:
I have different opinion. I own a 1981 Greco EG500C and it outperforms the EGF850s I have played. It also outperforms a few Historics. So I guess it's really about trying a guitar before you buy.
Greco's tend to have a fat neck by the way, I like that, maybe you don't.

i too. I can try this guitar because it is 25 miles from my house, the other can not. the fact is that I'm interested in these Japanese guitars and want to take one. what I'm looking in the guitar is a nice sustain a certain weight and a big warm sound. If this Greco is a EG500 and not an EG700 does not matter, just that respects the characteristics I'm looking for. if it is a question of aesthetics does not matter. I hope to be able to explain what I mean:)
I'm not very good in English :)

Jacco made a good point, if you can try first it's always the best option. Go try the one that's close to you and if you like it great! If not keep looking :D

When you're gonna try it, take out the pups so you can identify the model it is. The model type will affect the prize of course.
Does it have FEB?

FEB = fret edge binding
And about your wish: warmth and sustain;
There are a lot factors than contribute to warmth & sustain but just looking at the wood:
regarding warmth > mahoganey has more low end and mid range than maple so sounds warmer to the human ear but it's also a little fuzzier. The Burny & Fernandes have an all mahoganey body so are probably warmer in sound than the Greco which has a mahoganey back & maple top.
Maple however has more natural sustain.

Too my experience you can easily achieve more sustain using a Faber locking kit on the tailpiece and a Faber locking ABR-1 bridge to add more sustain and get rid of some fuzziness.
If you buy the Fernandes or Burny, make sure it has an aluminium tailpiece to enhance upper harmonics.

So to achieve your wish my best bet would be the Fernandes with Faber upgrades to get your sound. And then we haven't talked about changing pups yet.

But first try out the Greco, that's the easiest way to get some info & experience with MIJ LPs.

jacco said:
FEB = fret edge binding
And about your wish: warmth and sustain;
There are a lot factors than contribute to warmth & sustain but just looking at the wood:
regarding warmth > mahoganey has more low end and mid range than maple so sounds warmer to the human ear but it's also a little fuzzier. The Burny & Fernandes have an all mahoganey body so are probably warmer in sound than the Greco which has a mahoganey back & maple top.
Maple however has more natural sustain.

Too my experience you can easily achieve more sustain using a Faber locking kit on the tailpiece and a Faber locking ABR-1 bridge to add more sustain and get rid of some fuzziness.
If you buy the Fernandes or Burny, make sure it has an aluminium tailpiece to enhance upper harmonics.

So to achieve your wish my best bet would be the Fernandes with Faber upgrades to get your sound. And then we haven't talked about changing pups yet.

But first try out the Greco, that's the easiest way to get some info & experience with MIJ LPs.

:) wow. i'm not well informed:) usually i try and if I like the guitar ok otherwise not. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom 94 'used, paid 350 Euro and I am selling a Jackson RR5 paid Euro 1150, has much better material it's not the guitar for me. I ask you a thing. the Burny with this logo and this truss rod cover are 80' or 90'?

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350319543319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_840wt_1165

Back