Thinking of a refin on my '85 Love Rock. Any opinions?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilB

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing some mods to my '85 LS80 for some time - there are a couple of cosmetic things that have always bothered me. One thing I am definitely going to do is get the neck inlays replaced with the vintage '58-'60 cellulose type - the current (original) one's are very cheap looking bright faux MOP and just look very wrong, and really spoil the looks of the guitar IMO.

The other thing, and this is something I know a lot of folks will frown upon is to get the top refinished. The original finish is the bright red 1960 type cherry sunburst, my least favourite LP colour. My ideal LP colour would be a light teaburst. So I'm contemplating whether to get this done as well as the inlays. It would be nitro and have some light ageing to blend in with the rest of the guitar.

There are a couple of other mods I am thinking of as well such as replacing the p/ups with Bare Knuckle Mules, replacing the wiring, pots and caps, and also putting aged nickel Faber bridge and tailpiece parts on.

I just want it to be my ideal LP. What do you guys think?

Phil

I recently refinished my Springy from natural poly to surf green nitro (http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17111&highlight=).
I personally think that when you love the acoustical mojo of the guitar and the like the neck (so you're certain it will be a keeper) there's nothing wrong with refinishing.
The BK Mules are great pups, especially when they're unpotted (more depth/dynamics). To my ears they go more towards a '58 tone than '59 even more so when they're covered.
About the Faber upgrades what they will do is a more focussed and fatter notes, a little more sustain and a frequency shift or focus towards the lower mids. So you must check the LP acoustically first if the shift fits the guitar.
Replacing the caps with PIO's (russian, luxe, etc) or film/foil (mustard) caps will add some roundness/sweetness to your tone.

This is now a 'vintage' model that will almost certainly increase in value as time goes on. Doing this will destroy that value. You may not love this guitar but there are plenty out there who will if you don't want to!

My advice would be to sell it and use the profits to create your ideal guitar on a modern non-collectable model (or just buy a guitar that you love as it is). Alternatively you could do only reversible mods like the pickups and bridge hardware.

Paladin2019 said:
This is now a 'vintage' model that will almost certainly increase in value as time goes on. Doing this will destroy that value. You may not love this guitar but there are plenty out there who will if you don't want to!

My advice would be to sell it and use the profits to create your ideal guitar on a modern non-collectable model (or just buy a guitar that you love as it is). Alternatively you could do only reversible mods like the pickups and bridge hardware.

It's good to point out that value will decrease when he does non reversible mods but otherwise you speak like a collector, not a player :wink:

Do you really think he can get the same quality guitar with all the specs he likes for the same money?

Paladin2019 said:

+ 1.

As Ian Dury once said, "What A Waste".

stratman323 said:
Paladin2019 said:

+ 1.

As Ian Dury once said, "What A Waste".

As Ian Dury said in the same song;
'I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution'

Totaly with Jaco on this one! If the guitar is a keeper then go for it, it's not like you're planning to paint it pink, it might knock a bit of the value, but it will add something much more personal, and make the guitar really special to you.

I'd go for it even if you were planning to paint it pink. You go through a few guitars and it's absolutely apparent when you hit a "keeper" - do what the hell you like with those ones as they're getting buried with you :)

(Also: I don't like clownbursts either!)

jacco said:
As Ian Dury said in the same song;
'I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution'

You remember the next line Jacco?

"I could be an inmate in a long-term institution".

Have you sought your analysts views on your desire to ruin innocent old Tokais?

:wink:

AlanN said:
do what the hell you like with those ones as they're getting buried with you :)

You're planning on getting a big coffin Alan? :eek:

Could be a problem for anyone getting cremated - nitro can be highly volatile when heated.....

PhilB said:
I just want it to be my ideal LP. What do you guys think?

I would say go for it. A Japanese mid end mass producted guitar from 80s will never become such a collector's dream that it could be a bigger issue than your desire. If money counts, put it back to the case and don't play it for next 50 years.

I just think that once something acquires a kind of special historical significance its custodian has a moral duty to preserve it for posterity. Remember all those poor Les Pauls that got fitted with floyd rose trems in the 80's?

If you lived in a listed building you certainly wouldn't be allowed to mutilate it however you pleased even though it was your property and dwelling.

I would have thought that the cost of refinishing would exceed the cost of buying a replacement using the proceeds from selling your current LP. Unless you want a pink guitar with sparkly tinsel, which might be hard to find.

Paladin2019 said:
I just think that once something acquires a kind of special historical significance its custodian has a moral duty to preserve it for posterity. Remember all those poor Les Pauls that got fitted with floyd rose trems in the 80's?

If you lived in a listed building you certainly wouldn't be allowed to mutilate it however you pleased even though it was your property and dwelling.

Historical significance, um, I don't know, I guess, maybe to a few, and they would probably be happy enough if a few Reborns, EGFs and 50s LPs (plus a few others) were kept in glass cases. They can't all be preserved, they have to be used and played and worn out, and then fixed up or re-finished.

And yeah, but architecture is part of the societal culture, and modifying it would affect many other people, but a guy wanting to paint his guitar a different colour, that's pretty much his own business. Also, he wants to paint it one of the other traditional vintage finishes, and it might even increase the value as everybody but me seems to hate clown bursts! :lol:

Refinish away if you want to! And don't forget there have been a couple of refinished LS-60 Reborns on Yahoo recently that have been priced at absurd levels (100k yen +) and one of them sold for 102k!

i'm also thinking of changing my 1883 Love Rock LS50.....

it's a Goldtop but i think it looks a too flash....so i thought i'd go for Silver instead.....and change the knobs obviously....

the back is a hideous mahogany colour ...which has "buckle rash" probably from some hairy arsed rock guitarist ....

the pickups definitly need changing .....i'm thinking of getting some of those Barenipple ones ....either the "Dog on Heat"....or the "Bowel Cruncher"....

but then again "sod it "... i might just sell it.. and get another guitar .....

:lol:

JVsearch said:
Historical significance, um, I don't know, I guess, maybe to a few, and they would probably be happy enough if a few Reborns, EGFs and 50s LPs (plus a few others) were kept in glass cases. They can't all be preserved, they have to be used and played and worn out, and then fixed up or re-finished.

Listed buildings are frequently used as something other than museums. They can be homes or businesses, they can be restored and repaired, and it's often in everyone's best interests that this be so - as long as the spirit of the original design is maintained.

Just think how much those refinishes would have been worth in orginal condition!

Would normally be opposed to refinishing a vintage instrument like this, but if it were mine I'd make an exception for clownburst. On the old LS's it does look particularly :evil: have to admit.
Maybe Violin Finish like the new ones? That is super.
As for aging the new finish, I'd skip that. Play it, and let it age for real.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've not checked the thread for a day.

I'm really undecided about a refin. One minute I'm thinking go for it the next I'm thinking leave it as it is. It isn't a guitar that I think I will ever sell, I really like the neck and feel of it (and the build quality is superb), but it's not my ideal - the finish and the neck inlays have always bothered me. It would just look so much nicer as a light teaburst. It's just too in your face as it is. I've been moving it around my loft/office to catch some direct sun over the last few weeks in the hope that it will fade. It is starting to show signs of some very subtle fading so I might stick with it for a while to see if it fades more - faded cherry I can live with, but not the dreaded clownburst.

I'm definitely going to get the inlays done though as they just look really wrong and cheap. As for the other mods I'll probably do them in stages starting with the wiring. Mind you it has crossed my mind that with the cost of doing all this against the possible devaluation, if I sold it as it is and added the cost of the mods I could probably get a nice R9 Historic??

Phil

Back