The Smoking Gun...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure wish I knew if the 77 on the edges of these Polaroids refers to the year or if that is unrelated.

Among many more, this site and this site suggest (stating the pics were shot in '77) that this is indeed a year. In other words, it appears safe to say that the photos were developed in '77 (and likely also shot that year). That would put a definitive date on the beginning of the replica guitar development at Tokai. What the pics show looks coherent with the information found here. That would be Tomiaki Hidaka's LP and Strat there.

Last edited:
Awesome.

My belief is that they used CNC from the very beginning. I’ve pushed up the timeline through translating catalogs and flyers to 1978 I believe.

CNC At Tokai?

When I started the CNC thread prevailinh thought was that it started in the mid 80s after Fujigen. So the stuff you are helping to turn up changes the known history of MIJ guitars.

Last edited:
That would be Tomiaki Hidaka's LP and Strat there.
There is a tiny mismatch re the Strat - the article I quoted in the other thread states a "1954 Stratocaster", and the guitar shown on the pic can only be 1956 or later, because custom colors were introduced only that year. The quoted article is not from a guitar player site though and they also stated the LP's year wrong, so that's that. :)

When I started the CNC thread prevailinh thought was that it started in the mid 80s after Fujigen. So the stuff you are helping to turn up changes the known history of MIJ guitars.

NC machining is mentioned in some of the earliest materials and pictured at least as early as 1980, so I think it's safe to accept this as a provable fact. :) Meanwhile, WP states 1981 as the year Fujigen got a CNC router (possibly retrieved from their "About us" page now only accessible through archive.org anymore).

If you read through the CNC thread you will see the earliest mention I found seems to be 1978 in a Tokai flyer. Flyer is undated, but consistenet with other similar literature from 1978/79.

And I have found other literature that said they were the first in the industry. Also in that thread.

Also, CNC technology was developed in.... wait for it... Hamamatsu Japan in the 1960s.... Also in that thread.

In addition, the introduction of a computer system has further improved the processing technology, and the structural variations are as accurate as O! set necks, and a sound with impact can be obtained.

32464-0dbbf0825a2663936d8af392ccbe3d41.jpg32463-8bf104f4d20df0b91ab5a5ae24fff502.jpg

Found in an Australian forum from 2007 by stratmoto:

The Tokais may be copies. They are exact copies of guitars that Rick Nielsen and Joe Walsh took, from their personal vintage collection, to the Tokai factory in the '70's.

https://www.aggh.net/discussion/index.php?topic=5220.30

Not the first time I have heard Rick Nielson's name mentioned in this context,

Rick Nielsen and Tokai

but the first time I have heard Joe Walsh mentioned as a contributor.

It could all just be more internet rumor, but may explain this 4 years (?) later:

"1957 Rare Model" LS100S OR Joe Walsh

Last edited:
Notice what this flyer that is apparently from 1978 says:

Select solid maple and mahogany is carved by incredibly precise computerized machine tools to the exact dimensional contours or the original 1958 model.

47368-30e8db334bbe17bf8134a6906387ccfa.jpg

Back