The other new addition to the family!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinhotrod

Reaction score
This is the Love rock I picked up along with the springy

Its a 2002 guitar, UK guitar with dimple. Sold to me as a a LS85 quilt top.

Plays amazing, blows my Studio that I had away. What model would this be comparable to now?

P1030909Medium.jpg

P1030908Medium.jpg

P1030907Medium.jpg

P1030910Medium.jpg

P1030911Medium.jpg

P1030915Medium.jpg

P1030920Medium.jpg

I'm not surprised you like the way it plays.

I recognise the serial number and the appearance of this guitar - I tried it a few months ago in a music shop in Edinburgh and it convinced me my next guitar would be a Tokai Les Paul.

I passed on it as my budget was able to stretch to new / vintage and I was also a bit nervous about second hand with so many "fakais" on the go.

I'm glad you clocked it as 2002 - the shop tried to tell me it was "probably" a mid 80's model. This was after they were unable to find any verification of the serial number / date on-line when I was in the shop! Didn't seem right to me and I checked the serial number as soon as I got home - easy to find and 2002 - still what's 20 years!

Enjoy the guitar - great value for money and I reckon it's not just the Studio it could blow away.

vikingblues said:
I'm not surprised you like the way it plays.

I recognise the serial number and the appearance of this guitar - I tried it a few months ago in a music shop in Edinburgh and it convinced me my next guitar would be a Tokai Les Paul.

I passed on it as my budget was able to stretch to new / vintage and I was also a bit nervous about second hand there so many "fakais" on the go.

I'm glad you clocked it as 2002 - the shop tried to tell me it was "probably" a mid 80's model. This was after they were unable to find any verification of the serial number / date on-line when I was in the shop! Didn't seem right to me and I checked the serial number as soon as I got home - easy to find and 2002 - still what's 20 years!

Enjoy the guitar - great value for money and I reckon it's not just the Studio it could blow away.

You would be correct. the Owner had put them both in the shop as the walls were a bit bare. I tried them out in the shop. I didnt buy them through the shop so got them for a very reasonable price. As I said before I got 2 Tokais for less than I could get a new LS85 Gold top with P90's.

I knew it was the real deal at first glance after frequenting here regulary. A good few similarities to my new USG 75 as well.

colinhotrod said:
You would be correct. the Owner had put them both in the shop as the walls were a bit bare. I tried them out in the shop. I didnt buy them through the shop so got them for a very reasonable price. As I said before I got 2 Tokais for less than I could get a new LS85 Gold top with P90's.

I knew it was the real deal at first glance after frequenting here regulary. A good few similarities to my new USG 75 as well.

Is there a thread anywhere with your USG75 on it?

I used to have a Gibson SG Standard and I was wondering (one day) about looking at the Tokai equivalent. Do you have any views on how the USG75 compares?

The chances of finding one locally to try are about nil!

My SG Standard had to go for financial reasons - I really liked the guitar and appreciated its quality but I was OK on letting it go and found a Vintage V100 thatt was OK as a substitute (not as good mind). However if I had the same situation with my Tokai LC95 I would not be happy at all about letting it go - it just has something extra special.

here it is, try this

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13370&highlight=usg

I see Richtone still has them at ?529. A real bargain. I looked for ages to get a second hand one, near impossible. I have ony seen one go on ebay and not alot below the new price. Grab one while you can at that price.

Colin

colinhotrod said:
here it is, try this

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13370&highlight=usg

I see Richtone still has them at ?529. A real bargain. I looked for ages to get a second hand one, near impossible. I have ony seen one go on ebay and not alot below the new price. Grab one while you can at that price.

Colin

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid it'll be a fair while before I can consider the USG75 as I'm cleaned out by the LC95 (well worth being out of funds though). Could well be called a USG85 or USG90 by the time I can do anything!

I couldn't see anything in the specifications that would mean the USG75 wouldn't be a good bet. With the rarity value of MIJ Tokais to try in Scotland it's great to have a forum like this where you can get feedback and comments of people who play them.

Here's a bargain SG-75 for you:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/ubox.cgi?T=syosai&sline=123&print=1&keys2=shinjuku%40ishibashi%2Eco%2Ejp&tid=list3

Works out to about 250 quid before postage/duty/vat (maybe add an extra 100-150 for that).

I'd be all over it like a rash if I hadn't just recently got an Edwards Lester.

Latest posts

Back