SRV Goldy???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lrayblu

Reaction score
Dam this is pricy ...i mean did he play it or what?
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TOKAI-SRV-ENDORSED-60S-STRAT-WITH-HDS-CASE_W0QQitemZ180331593223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item180331593223&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

That's one of the worst fake Goldstars I've seen. 2 string trees, no brass plate under controls, so not a Tokai scratchplate, bridge saddles not stamped, trem arm too long, slab rosewood board (Tokais used cap boards), decal is obviously fake, truss rod adjuster is wrong for a Goldstar...... And that's after a quick glance at it. Headstock shape looks wrong too.

You can usually tell you're dealing with a BS merchant when they rely on the "SRV connection" to sell a Tokai. Stevie's connection with Tokais was tenuous at best, these guitars don't need a made-up celebrity connection to sell them. Well, the real ones don't!

Horrible, and a ridiculous price even if it was a genuine Goldstar.

:evil:

Mike

I have a copy of the Artist Application Form from Tokai Musical Instruments USA Inc.

Submitted by his manager, Chesley F Millikin. Signed by Stevie Ray Vaughan, witnessed by his wife, Lenora on the 28/12/84. Received in the offices of Tokai Musical Instruments USA Inc 9/1/85.

Interestingly the question Are you currently endorsing products by any other musical instrument manufacturers? If so, please list them.

"No, not currently" is filled in.

The document is not something that I feel should be placed in the public domain.

I agree that a lot of people use the SRV connection to promote gear. You guys have spotted the discrepancies of the particular guitar here quite well.

The SRV connection with Tokai is real. He did however have quite a few guitars over the, too short years that he was with us.

stratmoto said:
I have a copy of the Artist Application Form from Tokai Musical Instruments USA Inc.

What is an artist application form?

I accept that he may have played a Springy or two in his early days, but few people would doubt that Stevie was a Fender player - there is a huge amount written about the gear he used, and No. 1 is the landmark guitar in his life, the one he always refers to. Tokais never (from what I have read) get a mention in any of his later interviews.

Mike,

It is the form that was filled in to become an endorsee of Tokai products, through the encumbent USA Tokai distributor, in 1985.

Completely agree about #1.

I do not have any other information that can be officially confirmed, apart from the fact that SRV was an endorsed Tokai player in 1985.

Peter

Really? OK, that's interesting. It's nice to have some facts about the SRV connection instead of the usual nonsense that some advertisers rely on to sell their guitars.

Vintage Tokai Strats sell perfectly well without any references to SRV or the dreaded word "lawsuit"!

Personally, I think Stevie had some of the ugliest Strats I've ever seen - it's a good job they all sounded magnificent. :lol:

stratman323 said:
Personally, I think Stevie had some of the ugliest Strats I've ever seen - it's a good job they all sounded magnificent. :lol:

I think alot of that had to do with him..... he could play a ukelele and make it sound huge.

I think I've told the tale of the time I got to hang out with Stevie and his wife in Sydney?
It's when he was "medicated" out of his tree.
Anyways...I was invited to the gig that night and got to spend the night in the "pit"...the area that was formed by the flightcase guitar racks that the techs used to house Stevie's guitars.
I got to see Lenny and Number 1 up close and personal....I got to play a 335 that was sitting in the rack(played like a spastic..cheesgrater action) and yes...I can attest to the fact that there were some butt ugly axes in those flight cases...A Danelectro Longhorn in a purple/yellow burst finish comes to mind :eek:

It was that bound edge Strat with his name written along the fretboard that I was thinking of - he uses it for Voodoo Chile in the Montreux DVD. I think it looks hideous, but he makes it sound pretty much the same as all the others.

stratman323 said:
It was that bound edge Strat with his name written along the fretboard that I was thinking of - he uses it for Voodoo Chile in the Montreux DVD. I think it looks hideous, but he makes it sound pretty much the same as all the others.

You talking about this one? It's a Hamilton, not a strat:

http://www.stevieray.com/images-a/hamtone-srv.jpg

I sent this guy an email telling him of the short commings of this Tokai, this is his reply
"Dear leadguitar_323,

Hi and thank you for your concern but unless Songbird Music in Toronto
Canada was selling fakes in 1984 this is a tokai as I was with my friend
when he purchased this guitar new at that time. I later purchased it from
my friend and changed the pickups to SD's as I stated in my ad/ and the
SRV hang tag did come with it as I seen it on the guitar in the store when
it was new. SRV was also on thier catalouge at the same time but you being
an expert would already know this. If you are concerned about the price I
really do not care if I sell the guitar but if I do this is what I want for
it. I see one last year at 1800.00 and it was also a goldstar. I guess you
must also control the market price for the Tokai corporation. Good luck in
your bidding and thank you for your concern mate.

HAHAHAHA....funny sh1t

Mick

I received this reply:

Hi and thank you for your concern. This is however a goldstar tokai as I was there in 1984 when my friend purchased this guitar form Songbird Music in Toronto Canada. I later bought it form my friend and changed the pickups to SD's which I stated in my ad. Thank you again.

What is it about Canada? :eek: Were there Tokai fakes on sale there as early as 1984?

It looks like he jumped the gun, by around a year or 2.

The document I have is from 1985.

SRV appeared later in the 1985~86 Catalogue. With modified headstock.

Given what I have seen elsewhere, and the information I have, the sellers claims of this happening in 1984 are as legitimate as the guitar. A fake.

I have no idea, nor do I care, what it is. However, I am quite sure what it is not.

Somebody may buy it, and that would be their mistake, if they do not do their own research. He is fabricating the story, and he will stick to it.

Maybe he should put it back away for another 25years and try and fool his buyer then.

I just have to have it..lol i think i will buy it today and try and sell it and make a profit..lol .. what do you guys think? :p

Lrayblu said:
I just have to have it..lol i think i will buy it today and try and sell it and make a profit..lol .. what do you guys think? :p

Best of luck mate! You'll need it....

:lol:

Back