soft v neck shape on vintage Tokai's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesyrat

Reaction score
I don't know if is an already answered question...
What are the measures of a soft v neck shape on vintage tokai's? On my st 100 it seems to be.840 at first fret and .91/.92 at 13th fret. But i have strings tuned in this moment and so measures are calculated... could you tell me some info?
Thank you

I once measured one of mine (a ST-80) and it was 23 or 23.5mm at the first fret. I was surprised because by feel I would have thought much less than that. The V shape is responsible for that. The other 2 ST-80s I played had similar necks so they seem consistent.

Personally my favorite necks among vintage MIJ are on the Navigator Esparto Strats. Thickness is about the same but the neck feels more chunky because of the C shape / more shoulder.

I wouldn?t refer to my Breezy neck as a soft "V?, if anything I would call it a ?V?.
My Baja has a soft ?V?, the Breezy has a more pronounced ?V? shape.

I'm not convinced that all st100 are hard V necked... I'm beginning to think that often are soft V... I have to check better,
Mine should be a soft V ... :roll:

bluesyrat said:
Hey Brazen 0.91" at first fret? Is not too flat for a V? :eek:

I don't have callipers where I'm at the moment but will try to find some. I remember being surprised because I have other guitars about the same thickness at the 1st fret that feel much bigger. The amount of shoulder and fret size really makes a big difference. My Jackson RR5 has more of a flat oval shape (going by the image) and is probably only 20 mm at the first fret yet I quite like the neck even though normally I prefer chunky necks.

From memory my TE-80 is about 22mm at the first fret and feels smaller than I like, but it's a great guitar otherwise.

neck+shape+chart.jpg

Latest posts

Back