So I had my 1980 ST55N refinished, what do you guys think?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3TS should be rosewood, but I agree with Jaco, that one would be better for a refin, Jaco's lovely ash body though!!! Still, it's not my guitar :wink:

Gah the burst on that 80 is hideous! Like a 3 toned clown burst. The one on the body I got is much more mellow. I think I might do either a nice translucent cream yellow, green, or white oh her. Hmmm.....oh would a late 70's Greco SE-800 neck fit on that Tokai body? I ended up getting a killer new 1977 Greco 800 neck loaded with Birdseye off Yahoo for $100. I wonder if the neck pocket is similar?

The only thing is that the SS neck on the body should attach with 3 screws like the 70's fenders. If the Greco has the same big headstock you may be in luck.
Let us know what is written in the pickup cavity of the body when you get it, it should say the model name.

Ah right...yeah it will not fit after all...****!

Will do, I will post pics for sure. It may be like one of those rare lower model Greco's that show up once in a while that are a 1 piece body as well. Looking forward to it!

I have a set of Guitar Fetish GFS 70's Strat pups and man they are AMAZING! They sound way better than the pups in my friends Clapton Blackie Strat...and for $80 they are a steal...really nice sounding pups.

Udonitron said:
I have a set of Guitar Fetish GFS 70's Strat pups and man they are AMAZING! They sound way better than the pups in my friends Clapton Blackie Strat...and for $80 they are a steal...really nice sounding pups.

Thanks for pointing out to me that there are also cheap pups that are actually good, I forget it all the time :D

BTW Udo just now I was reading your very first post here on the forum. Do you still have that Burny and if so: is it possible to PM me with pics of the routing, control cavity & back of the tailpiece & bridge?

Wow, the refin looks nice.
I was watching that Springy on eBay, just for that beautiful birdseye maple neck.
Either way, it is a wonderful looking guitar

I had some pics taken guys...looks like a 1 piece BUT there seems to be a seam right at the last 1/8 of the body...**** so close!
Here is the model number in the cavity...WTF does it mean LOL?

d981.jpg

5547.jpg

9a07.jpg

3be1.jpg

99e1.jpg

jacco said:
Udonitron said:

Thanks for pointing out to me that there are also cheap pups that are actually good, I forget it all the time :D

BTW Udo just now I was reading your very first post here on the forum. Do you still have that Burny and if so: is it possible to PM me with pics of the routing, control cavity & back of the tailpiece & bridge?

Sure thing....on the way.

Udonitron said:
Here is the model number in the cavity...WTF does it mean LOL?

Tokai Strats don't have the model number stamped in the body cavities like that, LOL. What you have there is the colour code.

So, pretty irrelevant to you guys.....

:roll:

OK...I know they do on their Les Paul's so that is all I have to go on plus someone here asked to post pics of the cavity for model number. I know my stuff on Burny's and Greco's but Tokai strats are new ground to me. ;)

The only model number on Tok LPs is stamped on the last fret on the early ones. Nothing to go off in the cavities except in rare cases.

Mmm my Tokai model number is stamped in the neck cavity and pretty much every one I have ever seen from the early to mid 80's on is stamped in the neck cavity as well...not sure where you are thinking otherwise?

Neck as well as cavity:

vladmaximus-albums-vlad-1978-tokai-reborn-ls60-full-pics-picture10282-neck-cavity-3.jpg

tokby1.jpg

I think the refin looks really cool and definitely looks much more authentic than the natural finish. Nice ageing too. Lovely figure on the neck.

Sorry ,youve just covered up some of the nicest woodgrain I`ve ever seen.No disrespect but you must be a bit bonkers.Gabe,

Back