SHOW US YOUR OTHER! pics thread

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didsomeonesaylespaul? said:
Thanks! I'm still trying to find a home for the 63 Nash Relic Strat.....poor thing looks surrounded.. :eek:

I know you are looking for more FLAME, but it looks like you have a couple nice units. I know you've picked up a couple recently ... what's driving this quest of yours?

I know you are looking for more FLAME, but it looks like you have a couple nice units. I know you've picked up a couple recently ... what's driving this quest of yours?[/quote]

I guess I just don't play the Nash enough. I'm always playing LPs and I hate to see the Nash sitting there when it could be someones dream guitar. I'm also jones'n for a Historic !

Ok guys... While looking around for a Tokai Love Rock with a real flame top I came across THIS weird beauty. Sort of a flame top Talbo... ha-ha... It is NOT a GIBSON though it surely says Gibson, comes in a slickly fitted Gibson case and has all Gibson hardware and plays sweet as butter. You should hear this baby scream and cry through my old blackface Deluxe Reverb... I will TRY to post the photos (my first attempt). Bear with me...

BigMike

28_12.jpg

Lastly, the cream of my collection, from left to right:

1977 Alvarez Yairi DY96
1969 Gibson Super 400 CESN
1981 Ibanez GB-10N
(on the bed) 1860 Bay State Parlor guitar
PB130042.jpg

my latest acquisition before the new year ended brought me this wonderful bargain....

Fernandes Deluxe Wine Red
http://www.guitarmadeeasy.co.uk/Guitars/MGD/FernandesDeluxe_Front.jpg

http://www.guitarmadeeasy.co.uk/Guitars/MGD/FernandesDeluxe_Body.jpg

What a fantastic guitar you own Mike :p ,I love that Super400!
Wich amp are you playing throug for this?

I've had some old L-7s and a few Byrdlands but what I really wanted was a big fancy wide body jazz box and the Super 400 is all that. It's had some good repairs done to it AND the seller let me do Lay Away, it's the only way I got into something that nice.

I have two really swell amps: a 1969 Fender Deluxe Reverb that's been "blackfaced" and tuned up, it's my primary amp. I also have this amazing Mesa Boogie Maverick in a SICK quilted maple cabinet. I'll photobucket some pics and add them. I don't use any effects to speak of, though I have a really good friend from a cigar bb that makes custom point to point hand wired pedals. My favorite of his is his Dumble Pedal - he was working on this prototype and sent me a copy of it - I liked it so much he named it after me, The Hale's Comet... I kid you not. Great pedals...

BigMike

Short story of how I got this amp. I went into a guitar store really just to get some picks. I'm waiting for my change at the counter and I turn my head and see this amp in the consignment room. They'd JUST put it out there and it was like FALLING IN LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. I worked with the owner of the store for an hour closing the deal on it. I HAD TO HAVE IT. It is a lovely amp - 2 12's and your choice of tube or solid state rectifiers. It's made from one board of quilted maple - every surface looks the same, that SICK PRS 20 TOP figure...
P6060002.jpg

Here's a not very complimentary shot of the back of my Super 400. While I was waiting and sending payments to the seller of this I studied Thomas Van Hoose's SUPER 400 book. This is a late '69 model: a more normal Gibson neck, decent woods and no volute. Just after they switched back to the rounded cutaway AND just after they went from SKINNY necks to more normal necks. Nice, not too fat like my old post-War L-7's - which were too big in the neck.
PB090027.jpg

I guess it's OK to post some pictures of my 1963 H?fner 465 archtop in this thread, although it's not Japanese? :wink: That's how it looks after sanding down the ugly black paint that some fool had applied decades ago on this beautiful laminated spruce top and neck. I've recently installed the tremolo and bridge to test if the neck can still take the string pull without cracking after 20 years in my cellar. I'll try to restore it to an "original state", although it's not easy to find out how it originally looked. Maybe I'll record some unplugged samples without the electronics, too.

465_body.jpg

465_back.jpg

465_trem.jpg

465_bridge.jpg

465_jack.jpg

465_side.jpg

465_neck.jpg

465_neck_back.jpg

This is my '95 Heritage Eagle TDC I bought some time ago from a japanese guy.I changed to gold Grovers and sent the tailpieceto get gold too.A fantastic jazz guitar to me and for a reasonable price and a good option to expensive Gibsons, Mike.I play it through a tweed deluxe replica amp from Mission Amps.
It is the on on the right(the others are a 335 reissue and a late 70's George Benson from some friends).

imagen7215sh.jpg

imagen7187sc.jpg

Hey Luis,

When I was archtop shopping I was primarily looking for a Heritage. A local music store had quite a few I could actually handle and online there were some great examples at reasonable prices. Then I spotted the Gibson and it was affordable at the time. If things had been different I would have gone for a Heritage Super Eagle, or an older Johnny Smith.

Heritage guitars are another one of those super deals - like Tokais and other well made Japanese guitars: they may not have the big Gibson name on the headstock but in a lot of cases are a lot cheaper and way nicer than Gibsons... If you don't mind it not looking EXACTLY like a Gibson Les Paul some of the Heritage single cut solid bodies are **** nice - an about 60% cheaper than a Gibson Les Paul.

I don't know if I mentioned it above but my all time favorite guitar (aside from that Alvarez Yairi and my parlor guitar), my favorite electric is that George Benson. These are amazingly flexible instruments, best guitar Ibanez ever made in my book.

Nice instruments Luis, real nice... You got all the bases covered with that selection: the 335, the GB, and the Heritage. Real nice. I'm trying to talk my pedal making buddy into customizing an old Deluxe or Princeton Reverb into a Dumble style amp... That and I'm always looking on eBay and GBase for more stuff..

BigMike

bigmike said:
Short story of how I got this amp. I went into a guitar store really just to get some picks. I'm waiting for my change at the counter and I turn my head and see this amp in the consignment room. They'd JUST put it out there and it was like FALLING IN LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. I worked with the owner of the store for an hour closing the deal on it. I HAD TO HAVE IT. It is a lovely amp - 2 12's and your choice of tube or solid state rectifiers. It's made from one board of quilted maple - every surface looks the same, that SICK PRS 20 TOP figure...
P6060002.jpg

That is KILLER!! Mike!
Congrats!!

Unfortunatly the George Benson and the 335 reissue aren't mine but a good friends of mine.We agreed taking a photo the three guiatrs side by side.The George Benson is from an old pro player very friend (he is my best and trusted man for trying my guitars,he has been playing since last 60's and has tried a lot of and all kind of guitars,but he loves Gibson L-5 :wink: ,in fact that Heritage is at his home now).This GB is one of the earliest models(he bought it in 89's but that guitar was at the shop earlier than that,we cannot date it as serial number is very odd ,not covering at Ibanez charts.The 335 is a Gibbo reissue that sounds very good(specially through a '66 Bassman),but was pourly set up from factory,with a bad fret dress and a sticky neck( I cannot stand those issues in a 2.500 euro price guitar).My 335 guitar is/was a ES120 I really liked(again donot like too muck bridge MKII,way too much loud) but I got compromised and had to sell it (I regret that and I'll look for a high end ES in future).

Back