Show my '82 Silver Star

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocker_71

Reaction score
I don't know exactely which type Silver Star this is, but it's a 1982. First I had to get familiar with the slim neck, but the sound is great!.

Some specifications first, I am not 100% certain if they are all right.
Feel free to correct me. :wink:

Type: SS-36/38? OWR (Olympic White rosewood)
Serial number: 2018625
Year: 1982
Captivity stamp: 2=12OW Y (2= february, 12= day)
Color: creamy yellow finish with black pickguard
Headstock: large CBS-style
Body: Alder
Fretboard: Rosewood
Frets: 21 vintage style
Tuners: vintage style (on the back rectangular)
Neck: slim maple neck (with a skunk stripe)
Bridge: vintage 6 screw
Configuration: S-S-S
Pickups : Grey Bobbins (made by DiMarzio for Tokai)
Saddles : blank, heavy cast saddles (just like the 70's Strat's that they are modeled after )
Special features: bullet truss rod, three screw bolt-on, 5-way pickup selector

TokaiSS8.jpg

TokaiSS2.jpg

Tokai11.jpg

Are these pickups Grey Bobbins?

Tokai9.jpg

Can you show us the back of the tuners? That might help to identify which model it is.

Mike

I will make a picture of it, but I have tuners which are rectangular on the back. Not the round tuners.

Depends if they are rectangular or off-rectangular, if you see what I mean.

Not mine, but I got the same tuners:

EDIT: I think it's yours Stratman! :D My guitar looks all the same as yours.

134_3406.jpg

:lol: That's mine isn't it? :lol:

In that case, you have an SS36 or SS38, I think. Silver Stars are not my speciality though, so wait for an expert.

stratman323 said:
In that case, you have an SS36 or SS38, I think. Silver Stars are not my speciality though, so wait for an expert.

It was yours. Nice Silver Star! :wink:

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
But I can't figure out the difference between the SS36 and SS38. So if anyone can tell me. 8)

Neither can I. I don't think there is much of a difference, maybe there isn't any difference?

Yesterday, i took the Silver Star to a rehearsal with my band and this axe ROCKS.
I really liked the neck pickup, nice bluesy lead tones. :D

Aren't these great guitars for the dosh.. I too love to fron't pup but get a slim hot rail into your bridge pup and the guitar WILL ROCK.

No difference in 36/38/40 models, just different prioces of the same model. The SS 46/48/50 are the next up with better pups and tuners.

Then its the SS 60 which i know 0 about

Then SS80 which I have seen go dirt cheep, wish I d bought 1, nitro finished, dimarzio pups etc etc.

But ss38's rock.

Hope you enjoy it. Don't worry about modding it, it'll never gain much value anyways, use it as you player.

I'm not so sure about the value issue. I've seen a few SSs sell for around ?400 recently, & they never used to go for that much.

And if you want to replace the pickups, try anything except any kind of rails humbucker please! The SD JB Jnr & other similar HBs sound much better than any of the rails type, IMHO. And they don't look so awful either.

Better still, leave HBs to Les Pauls.....

I'll bow to your superior relationship with PU's stratman and I'll be following the advice, was just gonna get my hot rail.

I hadn't seen SS's going for more money, quite right they have been 'cos they are great.

Check the Duncan website before making a decision - it's excellent. You can see the specifications of the various pickups, & you can compare sound clips. Most pickup sites don't even give you the relevant figures, just vague & highly subjective verbal descriptions. You might prefer the rails type - but at least you can check them out in detail before you buy.

I am not planning to replace the pups. :wink:

If I do some modification, it will only be cosmetic. I would really like white pickups covers on this baby. But I hesitate to do it. Keeping it all original is cool too.

I know the SD hotrails, I had one in my Squier MIJ Strat. Too hot for me. Too much output.

Back