Should I take the LS 250?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is slightly academic from my point of view, since they're all way out of my price bracket, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on Tokai's really high end models and what you get for your money.

Togps mentions above that the LS250/260 should have an AAAA flame top, whereas the catalog says simply that it's a two-piece flametop. If some have an AAAA top and others just an AA, what compensates for the lower level top?

The two models above the 260 (the LS420 and LS540) move up to Honduran mahogany, but despite a price difference that's not too far away from the retail price of an LS150 in Japan, the only difference in specs is that the LS420 has Seymour Duncans and the LS540 has Rolphs. Obviously the Rolphs don't account for the price difference, so what does?

BlueThird said:
The two models above the 260 (the LS420 and LS540) move up to Honduran mahogany, but despite a price difference that's not too far away from the retail price of an LS150 in Japan, the only difference in specs is that the LS420 has Seymour Duncans and the LS540 has Rolphs. Obviously the Rolphs don't account for the price difference, so what does?

Braz boards, NOS Bumblebees, full nitro finish, more flame and the Honduran, and Rolph's or Seth Lovers that you mentioned.

Just like a flame top most of that stuff does not justify the extra money to me, but there's another less visible aspect that is worth it. I'm guessing that the 420/540 get the best woods and the most attention, as well as being made in small numbers, and that's where most of the additional money is. Bloody nice they are! :D

Quite sure they're stunning guitars, but as I said the specs ??apart from the pickups ??really are identical. Both the LS420 and LS540 are listed with AAAA tops, Honduran mahogany, Jacaranda fingerboards, all lacquer finish, Bumblebees, CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle etc etc. Yet there's still ?120,000 between them.

So I guess that it has to come down to the workmanship and differences in the wood that can't adequately be described on paper.

Can anyone confirm that?

BlueThird said:
Quite sure they're stunning guitars, but as I said the specs ??apart from the pickups ??really are identical. Both the LS420 and LS540 are listed with AAAA tops, Honduran mahogany, Jacaranda fingerboards, all lacquer finish, Bumblebees, CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle etc etc. Yet there's still ?120,000 between them.

So I guess that it has to come down to the workmanship and differences in the wood that can't adequately be described on paper.

Can anyone confirm that?

Sorry, thought you were wondering why the 420/540 cost SO much more than the 260! :oops:

Buy the 420! 120k yen for Rolphs... ??? But maybe it is wood selection and workmanship on the 540?

What's more interesting to me is how the same model can come with 2A to 5A flametops...for the same price! :eek: It sure would be sucky to get a 2A when others are getting 4A or even 5A for the same price you paid :evil:

Back