SEB/chambering/weight relief - Opinions?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryburst

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions from anyone that has owned or have tried guitars with the SEB construction. Have you noticed an increase in resonance, or is it just a gimmick or a cost saving exercise like the 70's Gibsons with their pancake bodies?

I'm no expert, but I would think that although Tokai could save money by using smaller cuts of mahogany, this would be outweighed by the additional clamping and glueing involved at the construction stage.

This whole subject intrigues me, especially considering Gibson's recent chambering of Les Pauls and addition of weight relief holes etc. The original Les Paul design is of course a solid mahogany body, and for a long time everyone seemed pretty happy with that (with the obvious exception of the weight issue). Now Gibson and Tokai are screwing about with a classic formula, and I'd be interested to hear any and all opinions on the subject.

My own very limited experience has involved comparing my SEB Love Rock to my Gibby LP Classic, and for what it's worth the SEB seems slightly more resonant (accoustically) and the guitars are of similar weight.

So what's your opinion/experience/take on the whole issue, which is a pretty fundamental one as it goes right to the heart of the Les Paul design.

Well... I recently purchased an ls125 SEB model, and it does seem slightly more resonant when you strum a chord. It sounds and plays like a dream and quite frankly, as a player, it is excellent for me. Historic specs don't matter to me. If it was chambered in the same way as a modern Gibson, I'm sure I would be saying something quite different (I tried many).

All the best.

James

Just out of interest - is your LS125 a new model bought in the UK or did you buy second hand, or from abroad? My one is a '05 NOS model, and I seem to recall someone here saying the SEBs were no longer being manufactured.

Any other info including pics would be cool as well.

I guess the SEBs were meant for players. I own an 05 LS125. Pic is below.

However, they are full-range tone-wise. I find it very difficult to get rid of the above "4Ks" without an equalizer, which doesn't fit my style (blues, rock).

They are also really, really heavy, and I am an old. My blue one has 4.3kg!!!

Beautfiul, but too much tone. Unless you are in the picking area or just play side.

If you are into metal, she is right if you've got a Fulltone FT2 into the left-front of a Twin (strange, but do you know Korn?).

I strongly believe they were designed by a man (Adashi?) who normally builds acoustics.

Build quality is 100% immaculate.

Rup

2ee347b3.jpg

Latest posts

Back