Replacing nut on TST50 Goldstar Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new 2013-made TST50 (mary kaye style) and since I bought it the top e string has buzzed in a 'sitar' type when played open. I am going to take the guitar to a tech to get this dealt with, one of the possibilities I'm considering is that the nut needs to be replaced.

To aid this, I want to purchase a suitable (bone) nut that can be used as a replacement. After measuring the width of the nut, I am pretty sure it is 42mm.

What I don't know however, is if the bottom of the nut is likely to be flat or radiused? Does anyone on here know if Tokai definitely use one or the other on their (recent) strats?

The fingerboard radius appears to be 9.5", which is not vintage-correct, but the neck on this strat is quite skinny, satin finished, and with medium jumbo frets, therefore Tokai have definitely not tried to capture all the period features accurately.

By the way, this string buzzing issue aside, the guitar sounds excellent!

Thanks!

"Tokai have definitely not tried to capture all the period features accurately."

If it's a regular TST50 model then it will have accurate vintage correct features.
But this TST50 you're talking about might have modern specs specifically requested by the distributor.

For example, a TST50 neck cannot have a 9.5" radius, it will be 7.25".
It might have medium frets (not vintage), but the neck radius won't change.

The nut on the guitar is a bone nut...perhaps it just needs a tweak.

Latest posts

Back