Refinish ideas for a mistreated goldstar???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aquietcabin78 said:
its not perfect but man i think it looks good

I disagree. I think it looks very good. :D Well done mate, you should be really proud of that. If there was a forum prize for restoring abused Tokais, I would nominate you. A wise choice all round. That baby should be good for her next 25 years without any problems.

Did you manage to keep the original Tokai body codes when you sprayed it, or did they get over-painted?

thanks bro

i just started wet sanding and its looking real nice.....i did save the codes inside the body cavity as well as on the neck heel. that was one of my priorities while refinishing it. in retrospect i could have sprayed a rattle can 2 tone burst on it, but i think the nitro blonde will age really well.

thanks again for the reference pics & support

i'll post pics this week when its all re assembled and strung up

on an un related note: does this silver star look legit to you guys, i'm thinkin about buying it...under $500 usd shipped to my door

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Silver-Star-Stratocaster-1983-Vintage-CAR-Maple-/260602380274?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3cad1cbff2

No, that's much nicer than Sunburst. Well done on saving the codes - that should provide a nice mystery on the forum for someone trying to identify it in 25 years! :lol:

The SS looks fine to me, from what I can see. One of the entry level models - SS38 or SS40 - but that's cool. It would be nice to see pics under the scratchplate to confirm there's no extra routing & to confirm the pickups are original. I prefer the white plastic - more SSs seem to have black plastic. One good point about Silver Stars is that it's much harder to fake them, as there are not many spare necks or bodies floating around with the 3 bolt fastening.

Good luck.

i asked buddy for pics of the pup cavity and the body and neck codes and he said he wasn't going to take it apart, thats why i'm leary of it....that and i'd have to sell my 95 MIJ 54 reissue strat, which i like ( also pctured my 1960 tweed vibrolux all original except for the handle..even the tubes are stock...traded it for an ibanez rg550 in the early 90's...ha)

IMG_2174-1.jpg

anyhow

i'll probably steer clear of it

Latest posts

Back