Quality of newer Goldstar Strats

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaze

Reaction score
I'm wondering, if the newer Goldstar Sounds are of the same quality as the ones from the 80's/90's. Since when have they been produced?

I've never played one, but the Japanese models should be on-par with a new Japanese fender as they come out of the same factory.

I couldn't live with the horrid headstock!!

Kaze said:
I'm wondering, if the newer Goldstar Sounds are of the same quality as the ones from the 80's/90's. Since when have they been produced?

Simple answer Yes and No :wink:

In the 80's there were a vast range of models to choose from. One to suit every persons pocket. Cheap ones equivalent to Fender Korea of today to the ST-100 / 120's which are equivalent and sometimes exceed Fender Custom Shop. The range made in jappan post 2000 was limited to one model AST-50

I've got a very recent Goldstar Sound with a Rosewood Neck. It is finished well with a yellowed aged look to the neck. For the money they are better than a Fender Mexico and probably equivalent to the Fender Japan entry models - well they were made on the same production line.

They have a nice C Shaped neck

Goldstar is the one shown hanging on the far left

IMG_5498.jpg

Excellent value for money and would respond well to having better pickups and changing the tremolo to a Wilkinson with Steel Block. The stock pickups all have the same polarity and so don't give hum cancelling that RWRP ( Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity) Strat pickups can.

They aren't going to appreciate considerably in value as they don't have the Mojo attached to having Nitro Paint or the correct headstock with the Cheeky 7okai - Springysound logo

What they will give you is a darn good strat tone for a decent price

Latest posts

Back