Possible one off Silverstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Took a chance on this strange color Springy since it came with the hard to find brown case and the price was reasonable. When I opened it up, it has some strange markings shown in the pictures below. Could this be a one off color possibly Sage Green? [SG] color code in cavity. Hard to show the proper color in the pics. It looks like a greenish goldtop in person. The neck and two of the pickups have 1980 stamped but the serial number is from 1981. Anyone have any thoughts ??

IMG_1463.JPGIMG_1452.JPGIMG_1457.JPGIMG_1455.JPGIMG_1448.JPGIMG_1449.JPGIMG_1465.JPGIMG_1465.JPGIMG_1463.JPGIMG_1452.JPGIMG_1457.JPGIMG_1455.JPGIMG_1448.JPGIMG_1449.JPG

In Peters book SG is listed as silver grey but the actual color looks more gold as i said earlier. Maybe just a bad paint mix?

What is the serial number on your guitar?

Those are really unusual stamps in the neck pocket and on the pickups. 1980, etc.

1982 catalog

1966 1982 MODEL SS50-SG ¥ 50000

SS50 that appeared in a bright metallic color finish based on the middle class guitar King SS 48. The silver-gray coloring is sufficient for the anniversary model. '82 Expected new item.

Scan 1.jpeg

Looks like that color was an Anniversary model color.

The one in the catalog is the maple board version, but looks like the color was special for and anniversary.

Trying to figure out what anniversary it would be?

Tokai founded in 1947.

But Tokai started making Strats in 1977... Maybe a 5 year anniversary??

This was a 1982 model. Yours was made at the end of 1981 I would bet.

Last edited:
So backing up....

- Your guitar was apparently made in July of 1981
(based on what you said about it having a 1981 serial number and the production stamps).

- This color was used for the Anniversary model by the next model year, but this was made in July.

-Has odd stamps that say 1980. and No. 50.

it is confusing.

Can we see the serial number?

That '1980' is confusing if the guitar was made 1981, but that '1980' doesn't have to be a year. It seems to look like a special (and seemingly numbered) run and it could've been a "silver" anniversary of e.g. a store chain ordering that special run, not Tokai's.

What I'm saying is that this guitar could be completely unrelated to Tokai's 1982 25th Anniversary issue of the 1979 Fender 25th Anniversary Stratocaster (both of which would have had a black PG I think).

Edit: Here's one of those. Edit again: Maybe not:

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 03.28.57.jpg
"There is also an SS-80 stamp on the pickup cavity. The body seems to have SEN."

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. The serial number is 1014589 . the paint surely is aged but no smell of smoke in the case or the guitar fortunately. I really like the way the finish looks. very thin with a lot of thin cracks. The markings are real interesting?

Back