Please identify my new Breezy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
Yee Hah!!

Here's the visual to that:

1375561.jpg

villager said:
its either a pre (i think) 1984 120 or a post 84 80, we had this discussion on a similar vein before somewhere...

lovely.. why didnt i see that!!

I did wonder if you would be interested, but I assumed there were too many changes for it to be your sort of buy. Or sale even! An all original one would have gone for a fair bit more, I assume.

So, the one definite thing that would have told us what it is was the decal, which is gone! John - is there any ghosting from the old decal under strong light?

I know it doesn't really matter whether it's a TE80 or TE120 (not TE100?), but I would like to know how to describe the thing. :eek: But it must be nitro, right?

Personally I don't see the cowboy connection! I guess it wouldn't look great in a punk band though, would it?

One more thing Mark - and anyone else who has one of these (I can only think of bunbury) - do these Breezys usually have standard vintage Fender frets? John says these are bigger, & they look original. I can't say I've heard of that before on any of Tokai's vintage-ish copies. Which this is. Sort of....

very nice! A lot of bling, though :lol:

You could also try a mini-humbucker in the neck, or maybe even a filtertron?

Lot of options, if you're willing to pay for the pickups :lol:

Well I already have the P90s from my LS85S, so I could use one of them. And I have an SD 59 HB, so I ought to try them both first. That should keep me busy for a while.

Dave_Mc said:
very nice! A lot of bling, though :lol:

You could also try a mini-humbucker in the neck, or maybe even a filtertron?

Lot of options, if you're willing to pay for the pickups :lol:

Good call Dave, using a mini HB or a Filtertron would mean no need to change the P90 scratchplate as they are the same size, and the look dead cool too!! :D

My money`s on this being a post 83 te 80 .Interestingly the guitar not only has had arefret ,but also has had the dots replaced with the more "clay" looking ,and hence more Fender looking markers.These are definately not Tokai dot markers.Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
My money`s on this being a post 83 te 80 .Interestingly the guitar not only has had arefret ,but also has had the dots replaced with the more "clay" looking ,and hence more Fender looking markers.These are definately not Tokai dot markers.Gabe.

As I said in an earlier post, the 're-fret' looks factory, as do the dots, there isn't a single sign of a re-fret, not a scratch where the fret edges have been dressed, or any filler where the neck has been marked removing the old frets. Als, if the previos owner knew such a good luthier, why didn't he get the routing done by him?

The total lack of any play-wear on the neck, makes me think it was a custom order with jumbos & clay dots.

stratman323 said:
Well I already have the P90s from my LS85S, so I could use one of them. And I have an SD 59 HB, so I ought to try them both first. That should keep me busy for a while.

yeah, definitely. i never get around to wiring in pickups etc., so you won't hear me blaming you if you don't get round to it either :lol:

JohnA said:
Good call Dave, using a mini HB or a Filtertron would mean no need to change the P90 scratchplate as they are the same size, and the look dead cool too!! :D

that's a good point, i just thought they'd fit in the route (you're giving me too much credit for thinking!), but you're right, the fact they're the same size as a p90 means the same scratchplate should work.

Could it be a whole new neck? That would be more likely than a very changed Tokai neck, wouldn't it? Err, scratch that, it has the Tokai neck date code.

Mark - you've played a few of these. Do they usually have standard vintage frets?

The biggest mystery about this guitar seems to be the frets and the dot markers, since John tells us there is no sign of either having been replaced.

villager said:
ah i didnt see the neck routing..

Not pretty is it!! But I suppose the guitar would have gone for a lot more money if it was all original, and as a 'player' it's still a fantastic guitar!

Latest posts

Back