Pickguard

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucke Luke

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently purchased a Tokai and it came without pre-drilled holes for a pickguard, but a spare pickguard was included.

Personally I have always liked LPs with pickguards, and although in this instance it looks good even without it I think I would like to attach it.

Normally I wouldn't think twice about doing it - but for some reason I just feel bad and scared about the prospect of drilling holes into something this pretty! I doubt I will ever be selling this guitar - but does it affect the re-sale price if it has holes drilled or do people not care?

I know that such thing as screwless pickguards exist - but as far as I know they're made to fit various Gibson LP models. Have any of you tried them on Tokais?

For me it's also a bit of practicality issue as I tend to rest my pinky on the body, just below the strings. So I guess overtime that would wear of the lacquer :)

On another note do Tokais rise in price much with time? If so - does the absence of original pups and tuners influence the price negatively?

With - http://s27.postimg.org/her9ftv2b/image.jpg
Without - http://s1.postimg.org/ht5f6eub3/image.jpg

Welcome! How old is the guitar? Model, etc.?

Pics are always appreciated here. :p

You're seriously considering taking a drill to that gorgeous top and covering it up? Sir, this is madness! :p

If you're worried about the finish I don't think that's an issue. Unless that's a high end model (is it?) it will have a poly finish that will survive that kind of wear and tear much better than nitro.

I am not sure of the year - will have to check the serial.

It's a LS200. I believe they're about the same as 160 - just with a 5A maple flametop.

I will need to find a place where I could upload some pictures - once done you will see them Sigmania :)

Serial Number - 0921702

Uploaded some photos - although I do regret registering on flickr now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122308897@N08/13608867445/in/set-72157643370759025

Might re-upload them somewhere else someday.

As far as appreciation and collectable value goes... I don't think you should worry about it. Nobody knows what the market will be like in 30 years. However, as you probably already know, in that market the golden rule is original = best.

What's been done so far is not a big deal as far as resale value goes. The original tuners and pickups are in current production and easy to restore (although it's not clear from the photos what's different about the new tuners).

Bareknuckle are a very respected name in the boutique pickup world and probably more desirable than the stocks pickups.

Drilling holes, especially into a 5A top, is going to have an impact on value IMO. Ok, not everyone will realise it's a modification, but if someone is buying a 5A top they are probably going to want to show it off and having no guard is currently a very popular option for figured tops. Personally I don't think you should do it - it's permanent, obvious, and you clearly have doubts.

IMO you should at least try the screwless design. The dimensions should be compatible - but do buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy.

In my own position I faced a similar dilemma - I rest my finger the same way you do and I think the LP design looks a bit bare without the guard even with beautiful wood. After 12 years my 200 shows no finish wear in that area, and I solved the visual problem by jazzing it up with zebra pickup coils.

Paladin2019 said:
As far as appreciation and collectable value goes... I don't think you should worry about it. Nobody knows what the market will be like in 30 years. However, as you probably already know, in that market the golden rule is original = best.

What's been done so far is not a big deal as far as resale value goes. The original tuners and pickups are in current production and easy to restore (although it's not clear from the photos what's different about the new tuners).

Bareknuckle are a very respected name in the boutique pickup world and probably more desirable than the stocks pickups.

Drilling holes, especially into a 5A top, is going to have an impact on value IMO. Ok, not everyone will realise it's a modification, but if someone is buying a 5A top they are probably going to want to show it off and having no guard is currently a very popular option for figured tops. Personally I don't think you should do it - it's permanent, obvious, and you clearly have doubts.

IMO you should at least try the screwless design. The dimensions should be compatible - but do buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy.

In my own position I faced a similar dilemma - I rest my finger the same way you do and I think the LP design looks a bit bare without the guard even with beautiful wood. After 12 years my 200 shows no finish wear in that area, and I solved the visual problem by jazzing it up with zebra pickup coils.

Thanks for the reply,

true, the whole collectible thing for guitars is a bit of a pain. Many people, included myself I believe are too afraid to do any changes (even if they're reasonable) for the fear of killing its resale price. It is also funny because that allows all the big guitar names come up with all these different models which barely differ one from another (often something you could do yourself with little effort) - all kind of fuelled by the concept that "original - better". So as long as it's "customized" by the brand, it's fine - if it's done by you - then hell no!

The tuners are Gotoh Magnum Locking Tuners. I believe they look exactly the same as the classic Gibson ones, and they fit onto their holes. And both pickups have been changed to Bareknuckle Abraxas. Interesting things. Also - I do not have the original tuners or the pickups. You mention they're available to buy - but even if it would help the guitar's value someday - it just feels a bit moronic to buy something that has been improved upon...

Fair points on the pickguard. I wont attach it - and I might just research more into teh screwless design and see if that works. Best of both worlds.

I did always like zebras - it does funk it up! But I hate their (open coils) untidiness. The dust gets into all the corners and what not.. Hard to keep it clean :)

But yes the top is beautiful... I keep on glancing over my shoulder to look at it! I am definitely impressed by the quality and attention to detail by Tokai. I do see myself being naughty in the future and potentially obtaining more of them! I would reckon that's what happens to most here... try it once and then you get hooked :)

Lucke Luke said:
I did always like zebras - it does funk it up! But I hate their (open coils) untidiness. The dust gets into all the corners and what not.. Hard to keep it clean :)

It's not dust. It's Authentic Vintage Relic Detritus. 8)

Paladin2019 said:
Lucke Luke said:

It's not dust. It's Authentic Vintage Relic Detritus. 8)
You could put a good spin on a rectal exam... :)

Latest posts

Back