OW Strat - help identifying it please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdeadcat

Reaction score
I have an olympic white, turning darker nicely, green pick guard Goldstar sound strat.

Unusual tuners, one piece maple neck, rest looks pretty authentic. Pictures attached. Would this be built in 1984 and what model is it please? If anyone can help it would be great to know!

Thanks in advance for any comments. (The thumbnails are clickable to larger images)

Any views on the tuners authenticity would be appreciated - I wondered if they were a L/H set?!

Also should the pickup covers be whiter than the 'green' scratch plate?

It?s an authentic ST40 around 1984/85 (don?t know if it can be dated exactly)
Modified bridge route is not original, but I guess you know that already. But electronics and pickups are original, maybe the previous owner played it with a humbucker and put the original electronics back in when he sold it.

The tuners are authentic for a ST40, CBS style tuners which are not that bad I think.

Len,

Thank you so much for the prompt response. That's great to know what it is and how old it is. Many thanks indeed. 1984/5 ST40 hmmmm?? I was worried that it was a Frankenstein!

Can you tell me anything about my blue one please (same Vintage forum section)?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Did not see that thread until now. http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19461&sid=25e1602d849b86338e0d765bf4ad2696

Looks pretty authentic too and I?d guess it is an ST55 with painted headstock (= ST50 + 5000 Yen extra charge for Metallic Blue colour) ,
but don?t know exactly.
Do a search for U and E pickups here on the forum. Should be easy to find out which pickups came on what model. If U pickups are found on ST60 normally, yours will be a ST65 ;)

Something makes me think that you know more than three chords Len!

Many thanks for the insight and assistance, that's terrific.

Latest posts

Back