New scratchplate for CAR MIJ '62 Tele?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I don't usually like black plastic on Strats or Teles, but I'm thinking about making an exception for my much-modified 80s MIJ '62 Tele. I've had this from new, & it's years since I had it modded to take Strat middle & neck pickups (the fluted top Kent Armstrongs that I believe were handmade when Kent lived in the UK in the early 90s). I chose black to match the bridge pickup. I kept the original scratchplate, so it's looked like this for years.

IMG_0146.jpg

But I've gone off the look of the black pickups against the white scratchplate so I'm thinking about getting a black scratchplate made to replace it. To test it out I cut some black paper to the right shape.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

If I do get a new scratchplate it won't be that dull matt black, it will be glossy 3 ply black/white/black.

So, what's the verdict? Do you prefer white or black? What would you do if it was yours?

Mike

JohnA said:
White!!

Do you have any tortoise shell paper you could try :wink:

Funnily enough, I'm right out....

It certainly won't be anything apart from white or black, before anyone suggests any other option, such as mint green.

JohnA said:
Is that your's Dave - Looks like something you would buy :wink:

Just what I was going to ask! :lol:

I did consider something shiny, like chrome, last night. But I'm sober now....

:wink:

Make a leather one, but with a brick pattern on it to show your punk roots. And set it on fire for playing! Yeah!

The black looks pretty cool.... I've always been partial to a mint green pickguard on a red / rosewood tele...... but the black pickups nixed that idea.

Back