New pups on Edwards 90/98 LTS ...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
MarkBuckers Go Germany ?

Well ? I have a very special guitar, an Edwards 90/98 LTS ?very bright sounding ? it?s difficult to get the fitting pups ?

Started with the stock pups, SD SH1-n (59) and SH-4 (JB) ? didn?t like the sound of the JB. Too harsh and brittle sounding.
Replaced them by a set of very expensive ?59 Kloppmanns (German pup winder) and modded to 50?s wiring simultaneously ? unfortunately the same issues ? too harsh.
Stumbled over a set of Wolfe?s DrV by accident, bought it and gave it a try, firstly in my Classic - I use to have a set of WCR Fillmores in it - and sorry, Wolfe, Jim obviously did something magical ? this combination is a winner !!! They're always inspiring me when playing ? the sound comes out of my fingers ? I?m not kidding ?
In my Eddie the Vs were superb, but I missed that special ?kick? I?ve learned from the Fillmores in my Classic.
The same happened afterwards with a set of BK Mules and even with my Fillmores when having swapped them into the Edwards ? excellent but without that ?WOW-feeling? ? I can?t describe it better ?

OK ? I say it clear ? all pups I?ve had were top (not the JBs ), superior in sound and craftsmanship ? sometimes there are those tiny subjective experiences what make the difference and the combination with the ?right? guitar which let you explore the real ?character? of the pups ? I?ve known it to happen ?

Got my set of zebra MarkBuckers and put it into my ?problem? guitar ? Mark Robertson is a US guy who's winding pups. He is not "In the Business" so to speak of being a winder for profit ... we were talking about a mix between Crossroads and Godwood ...

Beautiful, sweet sound from the neck pup, articulated in basses and mids, well balanced in the middle position with rich harmonics and the 'woody' tone caused by the 50s wiring. The bridge pup has very ballsy mids, with a snap and enough of headroom for silky highs or bite (as you like it ...), slightly compressed (similar to a DiMarzio) when turning the Vol knob on ? and it can bang when being played dirty !!!
No muddiness ? you can hear every single string even when strumming some chords ?
Wonderful ? Excellent job, Mark ? I guess I?ve found my ?Eddie-HBs? at last ?

With these pups Mark is on the same level soundwise like BK, Wolfetone or Kloppmann ? I hope they are still available at that reasonable price ? a unique selling point so far, IMO, if you?ll have to choose between the best pups out there ?

Thanks alot, Mark ...

MarkBuckers1.jpg

Back