New Breezy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you describe the change of sound?? I will change electrics, too, for a better switch, caps and potis. I would like to have a bluesy sound at neck position, twang at bridge, but not too harsh and with enough bass and mids.

Kaze said:
How would you describe the change of sound?? I will change electrics, too, for a better switch, caps and potis. I would like to have a bluesy sound at neck position, twang at bridge, but not too harsh and with enough bass and mids.

It's hard for me to say as you have got a SD Hotrails in there at the moment !!

The sound of the mudcats will be more musical with more harmonics - Hand Scatterwound pickups are better. They give a big tone with the volume on full, but turn them back a touch and they sharpen and clean up to give a country tone.

Michael also Wax pots his pickups too. This gives less feedback and no microphonics.

If you are changing the switch I would recommend that you get a quality 4 way switch - yes 4 way !!

There is a mod that you can do which allows the combinations to be
1. Bridge
2. Bridge + Neck in parallel
3. Neck
4. Bridge+Neck in series

The new position 4 is a really hi output and fat tone. It's like a wide spaced humbucker.

To enaable this mod there needs to be a ground wire attached to the metal cover on the neck pickup. If your sending the neck pickup back to Michael, ask him to put the extra wire on for you. He'll charge a couple of Euro's for this.

Here's how it's done

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/4way.pdf

Hope you've got a good compressor pedal - Tele's + Comps are made for each other.

Chris

This sounds great, I think, I willl do it like this!! Besides, the Hotrails aren't in the Tele anymore, I have installed the original Tokai Bridge Pup again. Thanks! Cause I'm a loser in soldering, I will have done this soon in Berlin at a good luthier. Maybe Michael can solve my problem quick.

And the last word for today :wink: :
Michael already answered, he will do it for 25 ? (has to wax it again), so I will send him the Mudcats tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!

Which compressors do you recommend??

Kaze said:
And the last word for today :wink: :
Michael already answered, he will do it for 25 ? (has to wax it again), so I will send him the Mudcats tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!

Which compressors do you recommend??

Your welcome, that's what this forum is all about - helping and sharing

Make sure he adds the extra wire for the 4 way switch mod too !

Boss and Line6 are all good. I've got a Boss CS2 that I've been using for the last 20 years

Allegedly the Compressor from Keely is supposed to be the best, but at $215 - rather expensive !!

I may have a go at building a compressor pedal using one of the Build Your Own Clone kits.

www.buildyourownclone.com

Well, now I have a 4-Way-Switch, CTS-Potis, Hovland Caps and a Switchcraft Input Jack. And the Mudcat-Pickups are installed. The Breezy sounds great now, very nice neck pickup and a twangy bridge pup. Sometimes I roll down the tone in the bridge position to let it sound a bit warmer. the RS Guitarworks caps and Potis are great, using the tone poti has a nice effect in every position. Well, this one is going to be my number one guitar for now and I don't regret buying a "younger" model, which is even an export model. It's simply great!!
Is it possible to repair a damage at the binding (you can see a little part of the wood)??

Maple neck with bound body? I thought the bound bodies were introduced (on Fenders) at the same time as rosewood boards? So surely bound edge Teles should have rosewood boards?

Mike

I don't know about this, but there are several Tokai Teles with bound bodies and maple neck.

Thank you for that. Are you suggesting that Tokai Breezys are not copies of Teles?

Mike

I'm glad this topic came up. I saw a Breezy on eBay with a bound body and a maple neck, and I wondered if it was genuine, or if the neck had been swapped over. Despite what you say, it was attention to "vintage correct" detail that made Tokai famous, so I'm surprised that they're deviating from it. Or maybe they're not? Perhaps Fender did produce bound Tele bodies before 1959?

Maple with a bound body still looks wrong to me though, it's a 60s look.

Chacun ? son go?t....

Mike

Hi Mike,
look at the catalogs,vintage Tokais.It seems it was possible to order near
all Breezys with rosewood or Maple Necks.But we have to wait a while,
because Peter Mac wrote in another Thread,that he will post us a extract
of his Book,with more information about Breezys.

Volker

Latest posts

Back