more info on this tokai..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
hey guys,

i want to know a little bit more information on these "reliced" Love Rock's..

i first spotted them on ebay a while back, and i really like the look of them, but on this pic here, i couldnt help but notice the bridge is different to the one on my tokai, what kind of bridge is this, and is there any specific reason why this guitar has this bridge instead of the ones that tokai normally use??

and also is it a nitrocellulose finish that they have?

and is it a solid maple top, or is it veneer???

any help would be gladly appreciated..
tokai-lespaul-sunburst.jpg

thanks in advance

Dave

1. That is a Nashville style bridge usually found on Korean versions (installed upside down... :roll: ). 2. I hate relics... :wink: 3. I wonder why you sent back your first Love Rock then.

i sent it back coz it looked like the neck was gonna pop out of the body!!!!!!

by the way hans that LP reborn u have on Ebay is hot!!!!

wish i had money to go buy something like that....

yeah i thought it was the bridge used on korean tokais, and also the TRC looks retarded... i think that this seller is advertising a korean tokai as a Japanese one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Aged-Les-Paul-Faded-Cherry-Sunburst-New_W0QQitemZ7378437997QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave

I'm still not certain there was anything actually wrong with your first one but that's another story, long over.

Relics: Yes, there's a Nitro finish. The flame is veneer. The hardware is different because it's Wilkinson, not Gotoh.

The story behind them is that the UK importer got tokai to send over a bunch of LS75f's with no finish or hardware. A third party then gave them the relic'd finish, hardware and electronics.

There were only about 20-30 ever made and they were exclusive to the UK, costing around ?1300 new.

i have been trying to find out about this guitars,,, and hers something i found on this site...

Love Rocks Relic Model
These guitars have been built specifically for the UK market with a total of 12 being built in 2002 and most likely the same number being made in 2003. Here is what we know about them:

* They are all LS75F models
* Solid maple top and nitro lacquer finish
* Price - ?1,200.00

Here are the pictures:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai_models.html

now if u look at the picture of the bridge on this one u can clearly see that they have the normal bridge that tokai use,,,,

and it also says that they are solid tops not veneer???

strange...

LoveRocksRule said:
now if u look at the picture of the bridge on this one u can clearly see that they have the normal bridge that tokai use,,,,

and it also says that they are solid tops not veneer???

strange...

Solid maple with a veneer top. They're ls75F's and have the same spec.

The 2002 and 2003 models were two seperate runs and quite distinct from each other. I've seen a few 2002's from various sources and played a 2003 - the finishes were very different, I really wouldn't be surprised if the hardware was different too.

LoveRocksRule said:
by the way hans that LP reborn u have on Ebay is hot!!!!
That's the second time today that I get mixed up with togps, what's going on? :wink:

About that Relic with the Nashville style bridge: if it's a Korean fake, the neck would be maple, but I can't figure that out from the few pics. I really wouldn't buy it anyhow, because I prefer to age my guitars myself and not pay someone silly money to do it for me.

I could try and see in front of me one of those Tokai relics and I liked it.Although the relic thing is not for me,They didi a good job relicing.
That relic LS was very light,more than my LS-70 from 2.001.I felt it better guitar than my LS70 too,so if you can handdle one go for it.

I have a reliced Reborn Retrospec

It's diferent to the one shown above as it has a one piece mahogany back and has nitro paint

The pickups are Heussells - a boutique manufacturer in Germany

Reborn.jpg

P1010235.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/chrisheyes/Les%20Paul%
20Reborn/IMG_1952.jpg

Body.jpg

PUPCavities.jpg

Headstock.jpg

Pots.jpg

PUPCavities.jpg

PUPS.jpg

luis said:
I could try and see in front of me one of those Tokai relics and I liked it.Although the relic thing is not for me,They didi a good job relicing.
That relic LS was very light,more than my LS-70 from 2.001.I felt it better guitar than my LS70 too,so if you can handdle one go for it.

hi luis,

can u tell me if the one u tried out had the same nashville bridge as the one pictured above???

this is what i hate about purchasing a guitar online... u dont get to try them until u recieve them... and i sure as hell dont want to spend ?899 on a korean tokai!!!!!

on belfast guitar emporium website www.belfastguitaremporium.com they have one of these "reliced" LS75F's but i couldnt help but notice that it has the different shaped headstock where as the one pictured has the correct gibson style headstock shape...

LoveRocksRule said:
on belfast guitar emporium website www.belfastguitaremporium.com they have one of these "reliced" LS75F's but i couldnt help but notice that it has the different shaped headstock where as the one pictured has the correct gibson style headstock shape...

Then they must still be making them - only the latest UK tokais have the dimpled headstock.

I highly doubt that you will ever see a fake tokai relic. I'm almost certain that the one I tried had the bridge that you are worried about. They vary the spec a lot, that's all. It may be that they moved back to the abr-style bridge for greater authenticity.

It was one year and half ago and my memory is not very clear,but I think it was different(meater) and taller than the one on my LS70 so my guess is it would be Nashville one.....I recall that guitar being better than my LS70,lighter.It spotted a 498 pup on bridge position.The owner is such a kind of Angus Young guy(phisically too) so he nailed that AC/DC tone playing through a Marshall Superlead.

hi lrr
dya want me to have a loo k at that guitar in the belfast emporium for you

mike martin said:
hi lrr
dya want me to have a loo k at that guitar in the belfast emporium for you

mike if u could do that for me that would be great... although the pics on their site i can kinda make them out and it sure looks like the guitar from their site has the usual tokai ABR bridge...

i am probably worrying over nothin here.. but the last thing i want is to blow money on a guitar thats gonna suck...

im thinkin about just gettin a REAL old tokai from villagers site unless i can find out for sure that these things are defo japanese...

another thing that puzzles me with this guitar is that well there is no serial number on it neither, where as the article that i read on the registry site had pics of this model and it was numbered like normal japanese love rocks...

luis said:
It was one year and half ago and my memory is not very clear,but I think it was different(meater) and taller than the one on my LS70 so my guess is it would be Nashville one.....I recall that guitar being better than my LS70,lighter.It spotted a 498 pup on bridge position.The owner is such a kind of Angus Young guy(phisically too) so he nailed that AC/DC tone playing through a Marshall Superlead.

thanks anyway luis im gonna see if i can find out some more about these axes.. and also see if i can possibly go and try one out first before i go buying....

LoveRocksRule said:
unless i can find out for sure that these things are defo japanese...

Let me make it simple: Yes, they are definately Japanese.

The 2003 models had no serial number and only 1 screw in the truss rod cover.

thanx paladin... where did u find out about the truss rod cover only having 1 screw and then not being serialized???

Dave

Why wouldnt the red dyes in the Cherry be faded on a guitar that was as old as that one is supposed to look? That looks terrible. I hate the concept of a relic. Its like trailoring your motorcycle to Sturgis or Daytona instead of riding it. Not that anyone asked for my opinion :)

and i will say it again...

to each their own.... :eek:

oh how the world would be so fucking dull and boring if we ALL had the same tastes..... :roll:

Back