Mods and fret questions...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Hi,
First I'd like to say thanks to everyone for thier posts here. After decades of pro and semi pro playing it's really nice to find a board full of such knowledgable players, who also are quite friendly! Some of the band forums get pretty hostile at times...

There has been a lot of talk about electronics changing, switch wiring, etc., of late which I find very interesting.

My specific questions:

Aluminum bridge advantage? Why?
I have always been a brass saddle guy, and in fact, with my Fender '57 USA reissue I replaced the trem with a one-off solid brass vintage style bridge, complete with brass block, and WOW what a sonic difference. Aluminum doesn't seem like it would be that ideal, what's the magic in it on a Love Rock?

Also, what's the deal with CTS (or is it CST) pots?

Finally, someone mentioned "Brill Dressing" of frets. What does this term mean???

I could've PM'ed the guy who mentioned it, but would like to hear from others as well. I am always in search of the perfect fret profile.

15 years ago I bought a new Gib LP "1960 Classic". Loved how it looked and played, but it didn't intonate in the store. I always stobe my own guitars so I bought it any way unconcerned. Well, nothing would get this thing to tune properly every where on the neck. I ended up sending it back to Gibson. They did a fret dress that was SO beauitful I almost cried. Sadly, the thing STILL didn't intonate!

The store repair guy had a go at it as well, and he and the owner agreed with me in the end, and gave me a full refund (on a reciept that said "NO CASH REFUNDS", loved that). Really turned me off Gibson. After years of wondering what could've been wrong, I think I finally figured it out. The nut must've been placed a few tousands too far back, and or was cut so the strings contacted too far back (the opposite of the Buz Fieton school). Anyway, I still long for THAT fret treatment. Hoping to hear it's a special tool or something and that there's a name for it. Thanks.

Oh, last thing (promise), any truth to this claim that cuts are made to suggest a long tenon when actually there isn't one?

Finally, someone mentioned "Brill Dressing" of frets. What does this term mean???

Having workmates in St Helens (UK near Manchester) I'd fathom a guess in US translation:

"Brilliant job on the dressing of those frets"

I was in Manchester a couple months ago, why didn't I figure that out? Hit me on the head with a cheap guitar!

Still curious what tools are used for even fret dressing, resulting in a perfectly peaked oval...

Still curious what tools are used for even fret dressing, resulting in a perfectly peaked oval

Equally important if not more so, is the finish of the edges of the fret - less than quality work will leave sharp edges that will cut you.

I have found those annoying edges on Epi's at times. I have also found where the edges are filed in too far, causing the outside strings to border on too low a fret area. That really bothers me.

Latest posts

Back