MIK Tokai's - Models sold in Canada

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossW

Reaction score
Hi,
I came across this post in Harmony Central. It is interesting. I had heard that MIK Tokais were of questionable quality. The following quote would support this idea. However, I looked at a number of MIK (ES-60, Love Rocks) and found them to be of exceptional quality. I am from Canada. Has anyone heard if Canadian distributers get better quality stock (i.e. compared to Europe). If so, why?

Quote from HC:

No one has mentioned Tokai? Great stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the Japanese models though. I think they do sell better Korean models in Canada though, but the ones sold here in Europe are crap! Plywood bodies, alder bodied LPs, photoflame tops, low quality flamed maple veneers, heavy weight, poor finishing, crap electronics, expensive. Do I need to say more?

From what I gather from reading around here the canadian market Korean Tokais are differently specified to UK.

Having said that the UK ones (well rest of the world I guess) are not as bad as that quote would have you believe. Composite bodies were used once - but not any more, I think the same goes for photo flames. I'm sure someone else could throw a bit more detail on that.

I'm not sure why the different specs for Canada; maybe they were special ordered? Anyway, I don't think they will be available new anymore here. Whatever stock that stores have will be the last. The Canadian ones have solid mahogany backs which I don't think the rest of the worlds had; they also have maple necks and I think the flame tops are a thin laminate and not foto-flame. They are a great guitar for the price but they don't stand up to Japanese Tokai's.

Hi Pegcityrocker,
Safe to assume Winnipeg? Anyway, once the current stock is sold, what can we expect for the next batch of MIK Tokai's? Will they be better quality or worse (i.e. than current Canadian MIK)? I have been told that once this stock is sold, it will be very difficult to buy a MIK Tokai.

I don't think there will be a next batch of Tokai's here in Canada at least not Love Rock's. JSD would be the guy to ask about this though; I'm sure you can find his link somewhere on here.

Yep, I'm from Winnipeg. :)

I found a used Tokai Love Rock in Ontario that I am contemplating buying. It sure looks new to me, it hasnt been used much, that's for sure. It's made in Korea. I am busy trying to learn about Tokai guitars and this particular Love Rock lefty. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Funkynassau

Pegcityrocker - $499 and it includes an amp, gig bag, strap, cord, picks. The guitar looks new to me but it's a 1 or 1.5 yrs old, barely used. I was told it is a "better" model, it's made in Korea, and cost about $800 new in Toronto.

Funkynassau

To me it looks new. I understand it's hardly been used and it looks really well cared for, I hope to go look at it again today.

Funkynassau

The Gibson Company has done its legal thing in Canada and there won't be anymore Tokais imported into Canada for the the unforeseeable future,

hmmmm.... I was looking at a Love Rock. I guess one should take advantage of this while we can still get them?

Latest posts

Back