LS80 Love Rock replacement pickup query

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharold38

Reaction score
I have an 80's LS80 Love Rock Les Paul and I'm considering changing the pickups.

I recently played a '78 Les Paul and the original pickups sounded great & had a much higher output than the Tokai's

A few recommendations have been to try Gibson Burtsbuckers or Seymour Ducan antiquities.

Any other info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

The obvious thing to do was to find out what was in the Gibson and buy some the same.

Burstbuckers, or antiquities are both good PAF style pickups, but the '78 you played may have had some aftermarket high output pickups installed, so if that's the sound you are after it migh mame sense to check before you spend your money :D

Like John said find out what was in the 78 and try to replicate that, they might not be the original pups. Even if you do buy the same they will probably not sound identical in your Love Rock due to different wood combinations.

I've got replacement pickups in all my guitars depending on what sound I wanted

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in my 335 for that ultra authentic alnico 2 PAF sound, overdrive beautifully but are a deemed to be low output in terms of dc resistance but don't be fooled they're very loud.

My SG has Gibson 57's in it don't know much about them but I think they're another classic type pup, idea for angus impressions!

LR has ended up with SD Pearly Gates (rumour has it they were designed for Billy Gibbons) as I wanted something that was a little ruder. Also tried 59's and Phat Cats in this guitar before settling on PG's.

That just my Tokais my strat, tele, gretsch have all gone through pup changes!

I had a LP that had Burstbucker 5 in it, prefered them BB3's. There are various BB's available depending on the tone your after.

I would suggest going over to the Seymour Duncan site and having a listen to some clips http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

Also join their forum http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/ and ask them to recommend something based of what the 78 sounded like. They're a really knowledgeable bunch on not just SD's but Gibsons, Dimarzios and a whole heap of pup makers you've probably never heard of. They're a friendly bunch who helped me out no end when I started off pup changing.

If your handy with a soldering iron pup changing isn't expensive or difficult, buy a secondhand pickup off the forum or ebay, try it, if you don't like it sell it and move onto the next idea.

Unfortunately I was unable to find out exactly what pickups the '78 had although I was told one was original.

Thanks for the info - very useful. :D

LuBee said:
LR has ended up with SD Pearly Gates (rumour has it they were designed for Billy Gibbons) as I wanted something that was a little ruder.

Ruder? :lol: Nice one! I'm rubbish at describing pickups, but I think that sums the Pearly Gates up very well - just that extra bit of attitude & edge.

Thanks for that Lubee, I'll try to remember that one.

8)

pharold38 said:
Unfortunately I was unable to find out exactly what pickups the '78 had although I was told one was original.

Thanks for the info - very useful. :D

They might be T-Tops which gibson used from 1976 through the 80's

More useful info here

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/65801-gibson-t-top-replica-490r-490t.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/6203-gibson-t-top-pickups.html

Stratman323 - I too have trouble describing pickup tone in words that are meaningful! I told the guys on the SD forum I wanted pickups with a bit more umph than a tradional paf but nothing that was too beserk for my LR. We settled on the PG which was best described as articulate but could be a little bit rude if you liked.

although collectors here want the tokai original pups I think they sound horrible

if you're after the '50's PAF sound, IMO get a set of Wolfetone Legends or the newer Throbak's ( wound on the same equipment Gibson used in the '50's )

I think Seymour Duncan pickups sound dull & lifeless in comparison to either of these

bolero said:
although collectors here want the tokai original pups I think they sound horrible

if you're after the '50's PAF sound, IMO get a set of Wolfetone Legends or the newer Throbak's ( wound on the same equipment Gibson used in the '50's )

I think Seymour Duncan pickups sound dull & lifeless in comparison to either of these

Never heard of either of those makes learn something new every day! Both sound interesting, aren't the the Thorbaks expensive - I'd have to be really in love with them to pay $350-450 for a set of pups.

But with hand wound pickups your paying for that experience and expertise, I would love a set of Jason Lollar P90's - just gotta buy a guitar to put them in!

Up until recently my favourite humbuckers were Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, closely followed by Peter Florence Voodoo '59's, but having fitted my LS80 with some RD P1's (http://www.rdpickups.com/index.html) I'm a total convert!! They sound amazing! very sweet cleans, and still very musical at higher gain settings. Definitely recommended!

John, do you have an opinion on how they compare to the Tokai 57 PAF Model? Thinking about upgrading my Love Rock with some local handwounds from Mick Brierley, but the blurb about the P1s certainly appeals.

They are like the Tokais in some ways, but they have a very complex sound, that is lovely clean, and generate a lot of nice overtones when they are diirty, they will wind them how you like them so if you want them a bit hotter just ask, but for my tastes the P1's are perfect. they would suit everything except maybe out & out metal.
The Tokai PAF MKII's are pretty nice. but after hearing a set of these they just sound flat and lifeless!

Latest posts

Back