LS200 perfected...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
Okay, for anyone interested, here's my complete, definitive list of mods to my Love Rock, all done professionally (I'm too scared to screw with this guitar myself!)

Setup - the (bone) nut was surprisingly badly cut, so this was sorted. Had frets dressed and action lowered - not even a 2-dimensional limbo champion could get under those strings now, and no buzzing anywhere! Also had some marks polished out, but a couple of small cracks in the laquer are there to stay. Hardly noticeable, though. Also reversed 2 bridge saddles for better intonation.

Tuners - Had the kluson copies replaced with nickel 18:1 Grovers. Looks much nicer (never liked Klusons on LP's), but some marks on the back of the headstock where the old tuners were. High gear ratio makes tuning a doddle. Extra weight of the Grovers seems to add to sustain. Holds tune brilliantly, but this is more likely to be due to the fixed nut than Grover being better than Gotoh.

Pickups - Duncan Alnico II Pros. The Gotoh PAFs were very good, but these beasties are part of my sound, look better (open-coil) and they have the 4-conductor wiring needed for:

Electrics - 3 push-pull pots; 2 coil taps and a bridge phase reverser. Also had the cavity shielded and had capacitors put on the volume pots to stop the muddiness you get when lowering the volumes.

Other - Amber 'hatbox' knobs (can't stand those horrible horrible 'tophat' ones) Gibson truss rod cover (some resizing of the screw holes required), Schaller straplocks. Strung with Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46.

Pics to follow, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Back