LS158/F Left Handed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg

Reaction score
Hi guys!!! Been a very long time.
I have a chance to get a LEFTY LS185 in Violin SB for a (under $1K) price. I am sure the 158 is a fabulous guitar. What is the Right Handed Version? The reson I ask, is because I would like to know what the Neck is like (chunky or ..hopefully...slimmer).
Thanks guys!
TYommy

Howdy Sig..
She's a 2018. I have had 5 or 6 Lefties before (all Japanese Made) and they were all every bit as good as my 1995 Gibson 1960 Tribute. But..that Gibson had "the" neck...kinda slim taper I guess. The best Tokai I ever had was a Gold Top with P90s. Man, I wish I still had that.
Tommy

I thought you were saying LS185.

You may want to correct that above and in the title.

If it is an LS158F it would seem there was a price increase of 12,000 yen ($90) between the printing of the catalog and when this guitar was made. Looks like it’s an LS146F/L in the catalog? Or they are wrong about the model.

IMG_2205.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it a good/nice guitar? If I can get it for about $800 US.. am I getting a good deal?
Hey, my name is Tommy, by the way.

Hey Tommy,

I am not sure about prices. That stuff varies by the area, and I don't want to give advice that way unless it's something ridiculous.

The price of that guitar new (158,000 yen) was in the $1,000 range I believe so that might help as a reference point.

Doing a quick search on line it looks like that price is lower than the average price for similar MIJ models.

Tokai Love Rock LS-110F LH 2009 - Flame CherrySunburst - LEFT HAND japan import | Reverb

2011 Tokai Japan Love Rock LS125Q Left Handed LH Quilt Les Paul (Red)

It's of course a laminate top, and looks like the back is 2 piece mahogany.

I'll ask you one more thing, ok? What Model of Gibson LP would this be comparable to? I would think not a Standard or ones like that, right? Maybe a "Classic"? I don't think those newer Gibsons are Lacquer, unless you get up in to the $1500 and more, yes?

I don't think this guitar is lacquer. If it were the description would say it.

And I am not sure re: Gibson models and neck profiles. I know Tokai started making asymmetrical shaped necks on Love Rocks. Again, that would be stated if it were in the description.

As for construction comparisons, I know Gibson has done some funky stuff with weight relieving bodies. This should be solid pieces of wood, but like I said the top is a laminated veneer of flamed maple. The solid flame tops are a good bit more expensive and I am not sure if they come in a left handed model.

Sorry I am not more help. I have been more focused on older models and am not as up to speed on newer Tokais.

Maybe ask somoene at ishibashi? They handle a lot of guitars and export a lot.

Latest posts

Back