LS100 long tenon or not

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a long tenon in the first place?

If you look into the 54-59 Gibson specs (i.e as documented in the beauty of the burst) it clearly states (and pictures) that the neck is supposed to be even with the neck-pup cavity.

IMHO many people nowadays believe that "long tenon" means that there also has to be the 6-9mm lip at the bottom of the cavity, as on all LS320/380 and R9s. I strongly believe it is cosmetics to push the price and a waste of good wood.

If you take "Pearly Gates" from Mr. Gibbons she does not have this lip.

Rup

LS320 2004

IMG_0744.jpg

LS150 1981
IMG_0744.jpg

Hey +1 Rup

I have that book too! very informative.

The long tenon is really when you can see the tenon in the front pickup cavity as Rup pics of the lovely bursts demonstrate, the extra lip is well, is really cosmetic.

A short tenon is, well, I have that in my 95 Gibson Burst, where you can not see any of the tenon in the front pickup cavity................ :wink:

Mick

what I don't understand is that most "original" necks are centered and most Tokai's appear to have a strong focus to the left if you look from the top neckwise.

However, the difference in diameter of the visible part (in the neck-pup-cave) is substanstial. All Tokai's I know are at least 1cm wider then R8s or R9s.

Rup

o0vCgwH2po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLemTo7r1c.jpg

1981 LS80

What is mine? I guess because you can see the maple top all the way accross the cavity it is not a long tenon.

Dave

Please ignore my comment above. I don't think that the maple cap runs across that area, I think it's just the gold paint. I'll take a better picture after cleaning the cavity out tomorrow.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yours is a long tenon neck, without the lip.

Tradionally Gibson referred to a long tenon neck join, as decribed in the photo from the book 'Beauty of the Burst' page 196, posted by MIJvintage, where the tenon has the extra lip joined into the pickup cavity, untidy, but it's there.
The short Tenon is where the tenon join can not be seen inside the front pickup cavity, as seen on modern day Gibson Les Paul's, and incredibly, most Korean made replica's.
The strength of the join is also formed by the fingerboard attaching as well.
Today some people refer to the tenon join without the lip as a medium tenon, which IMO is still a long tenon.

Hi Rup

Quite right with the off centred join, not sure why. Be interesting to find out.
I wonder why Tokai have the off centre, whereas, Orville and Greco don't for example. Another reason why our beloved Tokai are so unique?

Mick

Hi Mick, Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated.

I'm still a little bit puzzled with what's going on in the lip area so I will add a pick or two of the cleaned up cavity tomorrow.

Dave

Hi Dave, check out this thread, there are several shots of Tokai cavities with the empty route like yours, the last shot is the cavity of my LS 180 and it has the extended lip. Hope this clears it all up for you. Cheers Mick

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7171&highlight=180

Thanks Mick. What was puzzling me was the double lip but I thinks it's just another router cut. The bottom of the cavity corresponds roughly with the thickness of the neck so the neck must end at the entrance to the cavity. I've placed a new picture below - not cleaned up as much as I thought as it proved difficult. I'd had the day off work today to "file me nuts" :lol: so I didn't want to spend to long cleaning it.

3kuhcYx2po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLyCLqCpmg.jpg

Latest posts

Back