LS-48 vs. LS-80 from your point of view

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulatovic

Reaction score
Hi guys,
my first post on this forum and not the last :)
I am interested in buying a Love Rock model, i have just played LS-48 goldtop in one shop, and i have to say that i liked it, but i would like to ask you whether it is worth saving ?200 more to buy a Japanese LS-80 (?500) (LS-48 ?300) in violin finish, and what are the main differences (sound, quality, finish, electronics, etc.) I know that there are wood differences as LS-48 is to be bright cause of maple and alder combination, but i haven't played any mahogany model so i could tell the difference myself... Hope i'll get the needed answer here!

Thanks in advance!
-Luka-

The ls48 is not a bad guitar by any standard, but the ls80 is in a whole other league. We're talking woods, electronics, finish, hardware, workmanship, the works.

That ?200 represents a huge leap in quality and if you can afford the extra then you should go for it without question.

i've just seen that some of guys from this forum have bought their guitars online from Japan for much less money - on some site it said that LS-75 is 60,000yen which is about ?250-?260, add some shipping cost and some tax, it comes up to 350-400 which is still like ?100-150 less than in the UK...
The only problem is that i don't know where or how to find the shop... or to understand Japanese :D
And the difference between LS-80 and LS-75? I lime more the looks of 75 as finish of LS-80 seems a bit too shiny, thick and plastic... Is there any significant difference between these 2?

Bulatovic said:
i've just seen that some of guys from this forum have bought their guitars online from Japan for much less money - on some site it said that LS-75 is 60,000yen which is about ?250-?260, add some shipping cost and some tax, it comes up to 350-400 which is still like ?100-150 less than in the UK...
The only problem is that i don't know where or how to find the shop... or to understand Japanese :D
And the difference between LS-80 and LS-75? I lime more the looks of 75 as finish of LS-80 seems a bit too shiny, thick and plastic... Is there any significant difference between these 2?

The ls75 and ls80 are the exact same guitar. The number refers to the list price in thousands of yen, and it goes up now and then due to inflation. Very confusing, but there you go.

You can make a saving buying from japan but this has several disadvantages. For a start, you don't get to play it first. That also means you don't get to check it over for flaws. Second, you're flying it around the world and the risk of transit damage is greatly increased. Finally, if something goes wrong you have a customer service nightmare at two different ends of the world and through a pretty substantial language barrier.

The only reason I bought from Japan was that the model I wanted wasn't available over here. If I'd had the choice, I'd have paid the premium for buying in the UK. You're buying peace of mind.

EDIT: I did some sums, and you're not saving as much as you may think. After tax and shipping that ls75 would set you back ?450.

what about LS-125F and other models which cost about 100,000? how much is tax for that in the UK and how much do they charge shipping?

Thanks for ur support

Bulatovic said:
what about LS-125F and other models which cost about 100,000? how much is tax for that in the UK and how much do they charge shipping?

Thanks for ur support

Anything with a model number over 100 (ie. 125, 200, 230 etc) is Custom Shop quality. Gibsons at that price just don't hold a candle to their Japanese counterparts.

Here's the formula:

Price + shipping (~?100 for all guitars) = X

X + 2.3% import tax = Y

Y + 17.5% VAT = Z

Z + domestic fees (handling charges etc, ~?30) = The price you pay.

Yes, you pay import tax on shipping. And yes, you pay VAT on import tax. It drives me mad. :evil:

You don't pay taxes or fees until it gets to your door. Sometimes the delivery guy will charge you before handing over the package, sometimes a bill will show up a few weeks later. Some lucky people don't get charged at all but this is rare and you shouldn't rely on it. Don't try to fiddle the system. It's fraud, you CAN get caught and if the guitar is damaged in transit your insurance claim is bunk.

so what would be the Gibson's equivalent to let's say LS-125? Is it much better than 80 or 75 and worth saving even more? what are main benefits of this guitar compared to lower models?

Thanks a lot, it really helps me

Bulatovic said:

Thanks for ur support

It's not always the saving aspect ( see my other thread ). The UK models have a 3rd dimple in the headstock and no case.

The Japanese home market ones have the correct Gibson headstock shape and most come with the Tokai case.

The savings are not that great because the Uk dealers are very well priced. If the case and headstock does not bother you then buy from the UK. The backup will be on your doorstep.

The problem I have is that I sold the idea of a Tokai to a student and now he wants one with the headstock and case , so I am looking around for a Japanese Tokai dealer.

Bulatovic said:
so what would be the Gibson's equivalent to let's say LS-125? Is it much better than 80 or 75 and worth saving even more? what are main benefits of this guitar compared to lower models?

Thanks a lot, it really helps me

Ah yes, I forgot about the UK headstock shape. It's still really close though.

The LS125 is somewhere between the Les Paul Standards and the Custom Shop reissues. The law of diminishing returns bites hard in this sort of price range but yes, the 125 is a better guitar than the 80 and has more desirable vintage specs - brass saddles, aluminium tailpiece, full length neck tenon - the kind of stuff that Gibson reserves for the Historic reissues. It also has a nitrocellulose finish, whereas tokai's mid range models (ls75 etc.) use polyurethane.

If you want to go even higher up, the LS380 uses rare tonewoods, handmade pickups, top quality electronics etc. and is higher spec than Gibson's flagship 1959 reissues.

Depends how much you want to spend really.

Latest posts

Back