LS 150 V LS65 - Long Post

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlivingstone

Reaction score
Hi All

Thought I'd give a few initial subjective impressions of how my new LS150 compares to the LS65 after the benefit of all of 20 something hours :wink. Differences in specs have been well documented in previous posts.

Some photos attached below of the LS150 and new friends (front row L to R - Yamaha MSG; LS150; LS65 : back row - various Fendery things).

Build and appearance

Both Love Rocks are violin finish. The LS65 is a plain top; the LS150 flame). The red is more pronounced in the LS65. Finish is applied thinly and evenly on both. The obvious visual difference is the LS150s lack of scratchplate. I prefer with scratchplate but I'm a little cackhanded!

Weight is very similar with the LS150 perhaps a tiny bit heavier but nothing in it. The 150 fingerboard is a much darker, denser grained and consistently coloured piece of Rosewood/Jacaranda although this may lighten with use. The pearloid inlays appear to be 'a better class of pearloid' if possible. They have a slightly yellowed aged look which adds to the vintage vibe. The LS150 neck angle appears to be steeper. On first use this seemed extremely odd and looking down on the neck joint it looked to me as if it had a tapered heel - just an optical illusion. Compared to the 65 the 150's bridge and tailpiece (and pups) are set much higher presumably to accommodate the steeper neck angle. Action on both LS's is pretty similar. The resulting feel however is quite different and the LS150 seems to hug the body more than any other set neck I've tried. A quick peek inside the controls coverplate reveals vintage spec components with braided wiring (and a very different smell due to the nitro?).

Sounds
Haven't tried recording or through an amp yet but have played through a modeller (Korg AX100g) and a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman recording preamp. Compared to the LS65 I can honestly say the differences are not pronounced. The LS65 is a little brigher on the bridge pup (although the 150 needs a string change) but conversely the LS150s neck pup has better clarity and less 'fluff' than the 65. Output levels are similar. On balance I would say the 150 sounds a little more complex, airy and woody compared to the 65 with the 65 having more of a 'ceramic' character compared to the 150's alnico - despite them both being PAFs if you know what I mean. This of course could be a case of psychoacoustics expecting the 150 to be more 'complex'. Compared to my other set neck - the Yamaha MSG; the MSG has a slightly higher output and to my ears a slightly better and more versatile tone than both Toks however differences are marginal and all three are great sounding guitars.

Feel
This is where I found the greatest differences. My Yam MSG has a pronounced wide slim shallow C neck If I understand the terminology correctly (apparently modelled on a 60's 335). The LS65 feels to me like a medium/fat C to D shape. The LS150 feels a little heftier but surprise surprise just seems to disappear!. Combine this with the 'body hugging' feel and the 150 is easily one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. In fact it feels like and old friend I've been playing for a decade.
This is no hyperbole - I rarely get this feel from any guitar. Out of my current crop the only ones that feel like old shoes are my 80s Jap squier strat which I played exclusively for 12 years or so after having to sell my Fenders and my Tok tele; and now the 150. In contrast my US deluxe strat is a beautiful guitar with one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played - but it just doesn't feel right!

Apologies for the length of this post. In summary as you can tell I'm v happy with my new LS150. For very subjective reasons it just seems to suit me and in no way is the LS75 inferior or overshadowed - just different. Other's may prefer the 65.

Cheers

Mark L

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Thanks for the review, interesting bit about the different neck angles! Could you measure the resistance of the pickups perhaps?

AWESOME post brother!

I am saying this because i got an LS85Q and i am torn between LS80F and LS150. I dislike the fact that the LS150 is nitro (prefer poly). So if the differences are not pronounced i might just go for the LS80F

Watch the finish on the 150 with that stand.

Les

Touche Les. :wink:

It was only on there long enough to take the photo. I was in Dawsons today to buy a nitro friendly cloth and they also do a nitro friendly wall hanger. Till then its staying in its case. Also read on some forum about some guy who liked to strum his nitro finished acoustic beside his pool - and didn't even bother towelling off first.

Hans

The short answer is no. I don't have a potentiometer and wouldn't know how to use one.

Cheers

Mark

There are difference in sound between a LS70 basic model(ex-LS60/LS50) and a LS150.
I felt LS70 a good guitar but lacking some in bass departament.I had that comparison side by side stock models no adjustment/set-up.Necks were very similar(in shape),the chunkiest in a Tokai I've tried.At first LS150 was mild sound,but after playing regulary everyday now the sound has opened and the guitar it's shown its capabilities becaming more and more resonant. I don'tknow why but this of mine seems to be a dark sounding unplugged whereas the LS70 is a bright sounding.The solid maple top is thicker in LS150 than in L70.(the thickest I've seen in a Tokai) I 'm liking this LS150 more and more everyday and I feel it's on of the best bangs for the buck .I enjoy it! I don?t know how Tokai has priced this model so cheap.....If the new ES155 model is in the same ballpark of buildig like this I would ordered one at the instant..... Next step is going to try this LS150 playing live to see how it reacts,I feel the guitar is just prepared to sound fantastic...

*Edit: If LS65 you are talking about is similar to LS70 but with a plaintop then the difference could be not so noticed.I had the comparison btween LS80 and LS150 and again the LS80 was brighter and the LS150 has a better balance when played sitting on a chair.Again was worth getting LS150 for sure.

You're right about a high set-up from factory but I set-up it as lower as I could(I don't like being too much low however).We could not put the taipiece totallu down and the Gotoh made ABR was not totally satisfactory however(but good enough altough).

Hans

The short answer is no. I don't have a potentiometer and wouldn't know how to use one.

I rest my case. I think I meant to say a 'Megger'.

math2014

I am saying this because i got an LS85Q and i am torn between LS80F and LS150. I dislike the fact that the LS150 is nitro (prefer poly). So if the differences are not pronounced i might just go for the LS80F

Given Luis' comments if its the sound your after and hate nitro you might want to consider a 65. If its the flame then I honestly think the veneers are more impressive unless you go up to AAAA+. I doubt if nitro is such a problem though given the number of Gibsons being regularly abused.

Luis

I believe the 150 will be a lifetime keeper. Possibly for intangible reasons but there you are.

PS - Restrung today and popped the neck pickup to have a look inside. No markings on the pup. I'm new to all this long/short/medium tenon stuff but there was a D shaped tongue of neck extending about 1/4 to 1/3 into the cavity. No model number marking in the cavity just a hand written '59'. Hope I'm talking about the right model. Actually I don't really mind - I'm keeping it whatever its is.

Cheers

Mark

Here's the pickup cavity on my 150, my pickups are also unmarked
DSCF0055.jpg

Les

Bridge pickup cavity with LS150 letters:
imagen2585bo.jpg

Neck pickup: it seems MKI model

imagen0897ra.jpg

Back neck end: bigger than regular one
imagen1895kx.jpg

nice pics.

so the LS150 has same tenon as LS65/70/75? medium long? Only the 320 has the long one?

Iv'e never looked into the bridge pickup cavity, I'll have to see if there is any writing inside my one next time I change the strings

Les

math2014 said:
nice pics.

so the LS150 has same tenon as LS65/70/75? medium long? Only the 320 has the long one?

I didn't think anything below the 150 had an extended tenon.

Les

mlivingston, what do you mean by "tappered heel"?

I meant, rightly or wrongly, that the LS150 felt to me as if it had a steeper neck angle than my LS65 and when I was holding the guitar in playing position it looked as if the heel was tapered (i.e. dressed away to aid upper fret access) because of the neck angle. It wasn't of course - just looked that way!

Hope this clarifies things.

Regards

Mark

The cavity on my LS150 looks identical to Mercmans compared to Luis'. Wonder if there is any consistency with markings etc?

Mark L

mercman said:
math2014 said:
nice pics.

Les

Well i though ALL MIJ love rocks have a longer tenon than Gibson LP standards.

math2014 said:
mercman said:
math2014 said:
nice pics.

Les

Well i though ALL MIJ love rocks have a longer tenon than Gibson LP standards.

Any experts out there that can clarify this.

I can tell from your explanation that you know quite a bit about the Tokai LPs. I just bought a Korean model LP and would really like to understand the differences between the Japanese & Korean Tokais. Your help would be most appreciated. Note: I played Gibson LPs for my entire 10-year professional playing career (1968-1978) and would never have imagined I'd buy a LP "copy." But, after a musician friend suggested I check them out, I fell in love with it and it just arrived last week. In advance, thanks for your help.

Adrian. would you make a review about your guitar and how you feel it compare to your old Lps? :p

Back