Looking for comments re: Tokai model ES 60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gassyndrome ? thanks for the info. re ES-120 & Koichi/Ishibashi ? good stuff & nicely written up ? maybe you should lurk less & post more :wink: .

Ian.

Thanks for the long reply "gassyndrome"

I'm really jealous of your 120. :eek: :eek:

Our local music store just sold a 120 for about $2400.00 Canadian.
(15 % taxes included in the above price)
How doe that compare with what you paid ?

I'm also curious to know if the electronics and pickups in the 60 and 120
are similar.

What type of amp do you have ?

In Canadian dollars, I've paid $ 1680.06 the currency converter tells me. That included shipping with EMS, full insurance, hardcase as well as Australian customs duties and our 10 % goods and services tax, which applies to everything. Not a bad deal eh? Unreal value for money I think you'll agree :)

Havent played a 60, so I cant tell you the difference in terms of hardware, but I can tell you this is a huge sounding guitar. I've had DiMarzio, Seymour Duncans, EMG's and all kinds of aftermarket pickups in various guitars, but I dont think I'll bother with this one. Ampwise, at the moment I'm using a Tech 21 60 watt combo, and a Pod XT Live (awesome unit) but I've had all kinds of things. Recently, I sold a Boogie Rectoverb stack to a mate, and last week I took over the es-120 and had a blast through it - droolworthy sounds! Just a totally different response from a solidbody, I reckon everyone should at least try one.

Thanks for the reply "gassyndrome"

You did really well considering that the deal included a hard-shell case (vlaue here is about $150.00 CDN -taxes included for a reasonable quality case)

I really enjoy the semi-holowbody sound also.

Have you ever tried a guitar with P90 pickups? They have a tone that is part humbucker and part single coil (IMO) I have an Epiphone 1956 reissue Les Puul GoldTop (made in Korea) as mentioned in an earlier post.

They aren't easy to find but they are quite nice.

The Boogie sounds like a nice amp. They are popular here also.
I'm not familiar with the TECH equipment, but know of the Pod.

Just can't resist commenting. I hope "gas syndrome" isn't a diagnosis !! :oops: What is the reason for that choice...if you don't mind me asking ?

Have a nice summer...it is freezing up here (-20 C) :(

Thanks again

Hahaha - gas is a common affliction on musicians forums, and refers to Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Since my case of G.A.S is so bad, my name stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome Syndrome. It's a terrible affliction, but at least I've got some really pretty things to show for it now....... :)

Please look at the new post/thread " SHOCKED.........."
posted on February 11, 2005

Thanks

I bought one (I think it is this model-MIK)off a friend a couple of weeks ago. He bought it new a year ago, but didn't hardly play it. It is cherry red, and plays and sounds as good as a gibson 335. I took it out to a gig last night. I ran it through a fender deluxe reverb, and it flat out, smoked. I am not changing a thing on this one. I took it to the local gibson dealer and did side by side tests, with a 335, for an hour. My ears liked the range of the Tokai pickups better than the 335, the finish was slightly better on the gibson(tokai f holes show a bit of bare wood, and the playability was the same. I own several vintage guitars, with a 63 jazzmaster, being my main. It was originally Lonnie Mack's, who gave it to SRV, who gave it to John Reed, who gave it to me. It plays like a dream, but I will be putting it in storage. The tokai is the one! Walter

I just found this forum about an hour ago.

I found a cheap (1 cent) flight from Shannon to London a few weeks back so I went over for a day-trip and spent 7 hours lurking around the guitar shops in Denmark Street. I was half considering buying something but as I'm very happy with my 2 telecasters it wasn't a priority. But I tried a cherry red ES60 and was so impressed I went back around several shops to try out the Gibsons and compare. NOT ONE played as well as the Tokai. So I bought it on impulse.
But now I'm a quandry. I play thru a Fender Blues Junior and after several years with telecasters I'm missing the 'sparkle'. The bridge pickup in particular is too middy and mushy. I don't think humbuckers really go well with a Blues Junior. I tried a set of Kent Armstrong WPU900C P90 replacements for humbucker and it was more open sounding, but still no prize (so I sold them on again on ebay). I'm used to just playing a clean low-volume chord and REALLY liking the sound. With the lovely unplugged tone and resonance of this guitar it should be the same....but it isn't with these pickups.
Incidentally, the 72 Telecaster Deluxe RI with the 2 wide-range humbuckers sounds how I like on the bridge pickup, so I know it's possible.
So I'd appreciate any suggestions of humbucking pickups that might make me feel more at home. I'm hoping I can get this guitar to suit me thru the Blues Junior rather than get into looking for a new amp.

The only other thing I'm going to change is the plastic nut and maybe the pots. After lots of modding on my telecasters I know just how much of a difference good pots can make.

Hi TG

Welcome to the forum. :D

CONGRATULATIONS Re: getting your new Tokai ES-60

I jost bought an ES-60 recently myself and I also have a Blues Junior.
However, I've been playing my ES-60 mainly through my other amp.
(Fender Princeton Reverb 1976). I'll try the BJ soon and give you my comments....I'm just an amateur with tone deaf ears so I'm not sure how much "trust" you should place in my humble thoughts on this topic.

My suggestion is to start a new thread/post asking for comments from others who have/are considering changing the pickups on their ES-60's.

I've read quite a few comments about the bridge pickups being disappointing so you will likely get quite a few comments if you start a new posting.

I'd be interested in knowing the cap. values that Topkai uses. Maybe changing the caps might help your bridge tone ?? Just a thought.

Let me know if you start a thread as I'd like to follow it also.

I posted a question in the Seymour Duncan forum about humbuckers a few months ago. Got lots of responses Re: choice of SD humbuckers for Blues.

Let me know your thoughts on all this.

Dave

Thanks Davido. Perhaps I will start a new thread about pickup swaps. I'm just concerned a little that perhaps I bought the wrong guitar for me. Maybe I should stick with telecasters since I get along with them so well?

But this ES60 is certainly a nicely made guitar so I'll at least look into different pickups before I do anything rash. If I can get it to sound as good as it plays/looks I'll be happy with it. Not that it sounds 'bad'....I'm just used to the response and clarity of tele pickups.

ned said:
Here is a review of the NES-80:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-nes80-review.html

Great review. I picked up an ES-80 yesterday. It has the Bigsby. Great guitar. Anyway, what is the story on the ES80. How is it different from the 60 - Is the 80 a 60 with a Bigsby? Can't find very much information on this guitar.

Is everyone happy with the tone control pots in their ES60/80's. Mine does not seem to work very well for the bridge pu. The tone control on the neck pu is fine. Thoughts?

Hi evervybody!!

This guitar is great and beaultiful!! I bought mine (natural color) one mounth ago and stays perfect in tune for ever... the machineheads are very good, the guitar is very confort to play, and the set up was great ... i bought mine at Wunjo in London, this was my first Tokai, and my first 335, really great guitar ...

The guitar unplugdy has vibe and a good sound and tone, and the pickups are ok, they do the job, I think I can stay with then ... no problems ...

When I bought I didn?t see the Es 100 to compare, but I liked very much to play, and it was so softy and confort ... and have a good construction.

Also, I?d like to hear from someone a comparison in sound of both guitars, (Es-60 x Es 100) or (Es 60 x Gibson 335) but I believe it doesn?t have too many diferences ...

So if you want to buy a very good guitar, similar to a Gibson 335, but don?t have the extra money to spend... this is a great guitar !!!

Hope it helps in your decision!! Any doubts , send me a message.
Paulo

The pot was shot on my bridge tone. I had that fixed (no cost - warranty??). I also had a bit of fret buzz. The guys at the shop took care of that as well. They did a fantastic job on the setup. The guitar sounded great when I bought it, now it is truly amazing. I just wanted to point out that professional setups are always recommended. However, with a great guitar like this, I think they are essential for getting the most out of your guitar. The guys at Underdogs (Canada) are the best!

Hi I just bought a ES 60 from a nice bloke via E Bay and I must admit. I am very happy with it. I have owned a Gibson 335, 2000 re-issue model so I know what it's like to own the real McCoy. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the finish and sound from the ES60. I know the previous owner spent $150 setting the guitar up and having the frets finished etc. Although the guitar has 9's on it which are totally useless! ( must be 10's ) The overall quality of this guitar far exceeds what I paid for it!
Even plugged in ( although I do own a Nomad 100 Mesa Boogie ) the guitar sounds great clean and overdriven and the pickups are fine! I will change the machine heads as I don't think they look right and possible the hardaware ( which is okay, actually ) but other than that, I can't find that much wrong with it. I would however recommed that if you can afford it you would be better off lookig for an ES120 which have a better build quality and improved pickups, mahogany neck and better finish, but if you can't I think you will be quite pleased with your purchase. If you have any further queries please contact me.[/img]

Latest posts

Back