Little problem in the wiring of my lp

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Jones

Reaction score
My lp is an Edwards, but since this problem could also apply to a Tokai guitar and this is the part of the forum that is the most active, I figured I could post that here. I hope this doesn't bother anyone :)

Now for the problem : I completely rewired my lp with to 50's style, with mallory caps, cts pots (by the way : get some long shaft pots if you want to do the same, I ordered short shafted ones and had a really hard time fitting them in) and Alnico II Pro pick ups.

Everything seems to be ok, except that when I solder the ground wire of the three way switch to the ground, the guitar doesn't make any sound. Here's a pic I made, I know it's not very clear but unfortunately this is the best I could do with my cell phone. I circled the ground wire of the switch in red. In fact I'm not even sure if this is the ground wire or not :s . I'm bothered by that because I think that the pickups do a lot of hum, and this unsoldered wire might be the problem. Then again, the hum might be normal...

And here's the guitar itself, just for pleasure :)

Hi!
That should work! Sometimes, when the ground wire gets "too hot" it could melt the isolation of another wire! Hard to say something, just with that pic!
good on ya, "ACY"

love_rock_standard_01.jpg

love_rock_59_01.jpg

ACY said:
Sometimes, when the ground wire gets "too hot" it could melt the isolation of another wire!

This was exactly the problem ! I fixed it and now the guitar has a normal, low hum !

Thanks a lot :)

One last question : I burned a little part of a capacitor with the soldering iron, do I need to replace it (the cap) ?

Wow! Perfectly hit the target!!!!!!!! :D

If the cap works as you are used to it - don?t worry! No need to replace!

I sometimes burn my fingers! :oops:

good on ya, "ACY"

Latest posts

Back