Issues with ES type guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFanJpn

Reaction score
First of all, this is not intended to slam Tokai. I have 2 Tokai ES guitars myself, a 120 and a 130, and I love them both. However, it seems only fair to point out a few issues that have popped up with those guitars.

I have personal experience with 4 ES type guitars (so far), my 120 and 130, a friend's 130, and a 155 I checked out at a store here in Tokyo (I was thinking about buying that one too, but didn't for the reasons I'll explain below).

First of all, my 130 is perfect so far. No problems and no complaints. And it is definitely one of the best looking 335 type guitars I have seen.

My 120, unfortunately, had a couple of wiring problems (and this turns out to be the weak point at least with the 335 type guitars). Initially I had a grounding problem, i.e. there was a faulty ground connection between the pots and jack, and the tailpiece. I ended up having to drop the switch and one pot out and actually add another ground wire to get a solid ground. That solved the ground problem, but when I got the guitar back together, the neck pickup was intermittent. There turned out to be a cold solder connection on the volume pot for that pickup, so I dropped the switch and pot out again and resoldered that connection. Problem solved. One other issue I should mention is that when I put the TonePros locking studs on that guitar, I found that the bushing on the treble side of the tailpiece is not in there tight. In other words, it turns in the wood when you try to tighten the stud. I may have to pull out the bushing at some point and put something in there to tighten it up. For now though, I'm just leaving it as is.

On my friend's 130, there turned out to be no ground at all between the electronics and the tailpiece. He had to pull out the tailpiece bushing and found that when the wire was run into the hole where the bushing goes, it was pushed in too far so that some of the insulation went in too. That meant that when the bushing was pushed into the guitar, it cut the end of the wire off so the ground connection was lost. That probably should have been caught when they tested the guitar at the factory, but apparently it got through anyway. The fix was to pull the wire back out, strip off some insulation, feed it back into the bushing hole, and push the bushing back in. Not a fun job on a 335 type guitar. Anyway, that guitar is fine now, except that the toggle switch is starting to go bad now. But I guess that's a normal thing with those guitars. We're gonna order a few Switchcraft switches and just replace them all.

The 155 I checked out actually had a couple of issues that made me decide to pass on it. First of all, one of the tailpiece bushings was sunk too far down into the top of the guitar. I'd say it was 3 or 4mm too deep, which means that it would be impossible to tighten the stud down against the bushing, which I always do with stop tailpieces. The other thing I noticed was that when looking down at the ends of the pickups when holding the guitar in playing position, I could actually see the rout for the pickups sticking out under the pickup ring. So either the rout was too big (or off center), or the pickups were moved down too far and not centered in the rout properly. It wasn't a huge problem, but considering that the 155 is a higher end model, together with the bushing thing, I decided not to buy that guitar.

I want to stress again that I am not trying to start a flame here, just pointing out a few issues that I have experienced myself. I still love my 2 guitars, and am even thinking about a third one (I still want a dot neck sunburst), and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone else. For the money, they can't be beat. Most of the "problems" seem to relate to the wiring, and even though it's not fun to work on the 335 type guitars, it is possible to sort those problems out without too much difficulty. As far as playability goes, I have yet to find anything that plays as well. Right now the 120 is sitting close by, and it's the first guitar I reach for when I want to do some playing.

All in all, in terms of bang for the buck, I don't think you can find a better guitar anywhere than the Tokai's (at least for a 335 type guitar - those are the only ones I know about personally). I think it's a shame that a few issues have surfaced to put a bad spin on these guitars. But as far as I'm concerned, my 120 is still my #1!

Bill

said it before I`ll say it again...no mass producer of guitars can get it right 100% of the time. Folks here seemed to be genuinely shocked that there were some problems with Tokais but really it`s bound to happen. I own 2 Tokais myself but they are older ones and I have no problems nor complaints with em. But I will certainly look carefully should I buy another just like I do with any guitar.

sneakyjapan said:
said it before I`ll say it again...no mass producer of guitars can get it right 100% of the time. Folks here seemed to be genuinely shocked that there were some problems with Tokais but really it`s bound to happen. I own 2 Tokais myself but they are older ones and I have no problems nor complaints with em. But I will certainly look carefully should I buy another just like I do with any guitar.

Good point, and that's one of the reasons it is so risky to buy guitars online without being able to try them out first. But one of the points I wanted to make was that in spite of a few little snafu's, I still think the Tokai's are great guitars. I know I love mine! :D

Bill

wakaru...I`ve bought a LOT of guitars on line in Japan and I can remember only three cases when I had to return them...and there were no problems doing that within the " cooling off " time as they call it. No point in getting all POd `n stuff...law of averages, you buy enough of anything and you`re gonna hit a snag once in a while eh. Still, the bad experiences haven`t prevented me from buying more.
Ya pays yur money and you takes yur chances.

sneakyjapan said:
wakaru...I`ve bought a LOT of guitars on line in Japan and I can remember only three cases when I had to return them...and there were no problems doing that within the " cooling off " time as they call it. No point in getting all POd `n stuff...law of averages, you buy enough of anything and you`re gonna hit a snag once in a while eh. Still, the bad experiences haven`t prevented me from buying more.
Ya pays yur money and you takes yur chances.

If you're living and buying in Japan, then that's not much of a problem. But if you're sending guitars back and forth internationally, then the shipping costs can make it prohibitive. That being said though, I have bought a few guitars from overseas and was pretty lucky with my purchases.

Bill

Interesting. I've got an NES120 and it had a similar problem with grounding on the treble pickup. Another NES120 that someone else bought at about the same time as mine (and looked like the twin to mine) also had a ground issue. Maybe this is something symptomatic. Maybe not.

I don`t know...they seem to be slipping lately...maybe they`ve bitten off more than they can chew by producing guitars for other companies too? Perhaps they are under orders to... just ship it... and hope it won`t come back...after so many years in Japan I believe a common method of dealing with a problem here is to...pretend it doesn`t exist.
One of the things that attracted many players to Tokai was their quality but I must say, after reading about the QC problems so many just here have experienced recently...I`ve got wonder what the #%&# is goin` on over there. Certainly not what we`ve come to know and love about Tokai. `course those things won`t stop me from buying another if I want but I will definitely give a real good look see before buying.

In the Tokai production process...is every guitar play tested?
All Gibson's coming out of the Kalamazoo factory "used" to be...but not so much anymore.
For that matter....I recently saw a DVD walkthrough of the Marshall factory in England.
You'd think that they play test all their amps right?
Wrong..!!!
None of them are play tested before leaving the factory....worst example of this is the woeful MGdfx series of Marshall amps.
ALL of their transformers have a grounding issue that if not showing up immediately....shows up a few months down the track.
It makes the amp sound like a helicopter...not particularily immpressive at high volumes.
Lax quality control can happen to the best of them huh?

Latest posts

Back