Is this Goldstar, Springy or Fakai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diodibuh

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1982-Tokai-Stratocaster-Blackie-Oldiei-BUT-goldies-MIJ_W0QQitemZ280278572028QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280278572028&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I agree. So the price seems a little high to me.

If people must replace the Tokai decal, it's a shame that they don't replace it with a proper Fender decal, properly located. That one looks ridiculous. :roll:

Mike

I have had a look at this one a couple of times and i wouldn't touch it personally,unless you need a guitar in a hurry just wait until you find somting origy didge< And i agree that the decal looks totally ridiculous.> Nate

actually I have too many guitars at home but I wanted to put this guitar here because I thought it's not worth the money.

stratman323 said:
I agree. So the price seems a little high to me.

If people must replace the Tokai decal, it's a shame that they don't replace it with a proper Fender decal, properly located. That one looks ridiculous. :roll:

Mike

Exactly. That's a 65'ish transitional Fender decal on a 50's style strat. Brilliant. He must have sneezed when he put it on because the angle is hilarious.

marcusnieman said:
Exactly. That's a 65'ish transitional Fender decal on a 50's style strat. Brilliant. He must have sneezed when he put it on because the angle is hilarious.

Quite. And it wouldn't have cost much more to get a decal that actually said STRATOCASTER as well, would it? :roll: They don't charge by the letter when you buy a decal. :eek:

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

Quite. And it wouldn't have cost much more to get a decal that actually said STRATOCASTER as well, would it? :roll: They don't charge by the letter when you buy a decal. :eek:

Correct and accurate decals are very hard to find. Fender has them pulled from ebay as soon as they show. I'm blackifying my Edwards Blackie strat - they really did a lame relic job on it. The rubbed wood is polished with nitro over it and the hardware is spotless.

Anyway, I found proper 50's Fender decals online (about 10 bucks) and I'm sending the whole lot off to a good relic guy (Jay Munn at www.jaymunnguitars.com ) to re-relic it. I'll share the before and after pics with you when she's done.

Bill Nash did the relic job on my Custom Shop reissue 65 strat. He's probably the best relic guy in the country ( www.nashguitars.com ) but he doesn't do private guitars anymore. He builds and sells his thru dealers only and they are marvelous guitars.

I think the Nash guitars I've seen have been very over-done with not a lot of thought gone in to the relicing, they looked like they had been dragged behind a car!

JohnA said:
I think the Nash guitars I've seen have been very over-done with not a lot of thought gone in to the relicing, they looked like they had been dragged behind a car!

He has different levels of relic work....from light to roadhouse dragged behind a car. The light to mid stuff is very good (correct wear patterns, excellent finish checking, etc)......I'll snap some pics of my strat some time.

I think the beaters sell better overall.

It'll be nice to see some pics, a nice worn-in strat with a few knocks is a lovely thing but I don't care for the Rory Gallagher style beaters!

JohnA said:
It'll be nice to see some pics, a nice worn-in strat with a few knocks is a lovely thing but I don't care for the Rory Gallagher style beaters!

Yeah, the Rory and SRV stuff cracks me up. If half of the wankers that play them actually PLAYED them enough to put that amount of wear on them, they wouldn't be wankers.

marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:

Yeah, the Rory and SRV stuff cracks me up. If half of the wankers that play them actually PLAYED them enough to put that amount of wear on them, they wouldn't be wankers.

Very true!! They probably spend more time talking about them on forums than actually playing :wink:

JohnA said:
Very true!! They probably spend more time talking about them on forums than actually playing :wink:

Sorry, what was that? I was just busy playing my 57 relic Strat while you guys were chatting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back