Is the holy grail realy the best?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singemonkey said:
A true blind LP test would be a wonderful thing. I doubt any brand would be a clear winner. And I don't think original '50s LPs would easily stand out against modern high-quality LPs (Gibson Historic, Tokai, Navigator, Heritage, etc.) using PAF clones like Bareknuckles, or Sheptones.

Acoustic tests would take the electronics out of the picture, but might not tell you the entire story.

But, as in the Stradivarius tests, I really doubt anyone would be able to pick out a couple of '50s LPs from a bunch of well made, solid LPs with one piece backs any better than you'd expect by chance.

Player needs to be blinded too of course. Changes the way you play when someone puts a '59 LP in your hands, I'm guessing. :)

I would like to add that the hardware makes quite a bit of difference... for instance: the standard USA Gibsons have different materials (zinc) and are mounted less direct to the wood than with the original '50s LP's... changing this to a brand like Faber increases the acoustic loudness a lot plus it changes the overall tone (softer ?nd brighter). When comparing you need to look to the whole picture.. not just wood and pickups but also electronics, hardware etc.

singemonkey said:
A true blind LP test would be a wonderful thing. I doubt any brand would be a clear winner. And I don't think original '50s LPs would easily stand out against modern high-quality LPs (Gibson Historic, Tokai, Navigator, Heritage, etc.) using PAF clones like Bareknuckles, or Sheptones.

Acoustic tests would take the electronics out of the picture, but might not tell you the entire story.

But, as in the Stradivarius tests, I really doubt anyone would be able to pick out a couple of '50s LPs from a bunch of well made, solid LPs with one piece backs any better than you'd expect by chance.

Player needs to be blinded too of course. Changes the way you play when someone puts a '59 LP in your hands, I'm guessing. :)

I'm sure there would be significant differences between different burst as well.

Back