Improving my Tokay LS-Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StugIII

Reaction score
I decided to modify my Tokay LS-Custom 2008 (Honduras mahogany, Brazil fretboard, Rolph pickups, bought from Villager ) in order to get closer to some original features and improve the tone if possible.

This photo shows three types of bushing:
.- At the center of the image there is the original brass bushing that came with the LS-Custom.
.- To the right, there is a Pigtail replica, made from steel, US threaded and thicker with lager diameter.
.- The left one is a Gotoh bushing, made from zinc plated steel.
Original Les Paul bushings and tailpiece screws were made both from steel.
You can see that the Tokai brass bushings have a smaller diameter and only has grooves at the top, making a smaller contact area with the wood than the other two and only at the maple top and not at the mahogany.
Clearly, Pigtail studs will have better grip to the wood, both at the maple and at the mahogany so I decide to put the Pigtails and send the guitar to a local luthier for enlargement of the original holes.
igp2933.jpg

Pigtail screws tightly fits, without gaps, the original aluminum Tokay tailpiece.

Also I replaced the bridge with a Pigtail ABR1 (zinc alloy body with brass saddles). Tokai bridge was good, but Pigtail has taller saddles with tighter fit. I have to enlarge the holes of the Pigtail bridge to fit M4 screws.
Finally, I replace original Tokai bridge posts, made from steel, with nickel plated brass M4 screws.

All this worth the trouble? for me, without doubt, YES!
As I expected, when plucking any string you feels more vibration both at the body and at the neck. Unplugged, the guitar is louder and has more rich harmonics than before. With an amp is also louder, with fuller bass, more mids and richer in harmonics, more compensated than before.
igp2935.jpg

igp2936.jpg

Glad to hear the new parts worked out well!

The unique selling point for Pigtail parts is that the machined tolerances of metal parts that go together will be far higher than anything that comes stock from almost all guitar makers. End of story. That is their speciality - ultra precise machining, and also reproducing the parts in the vintage style.

I had some Pigtail bushes and tail piece screws that I ended up selling to guy to put on his 335 - he reported a similar experience to what you had, although probably not as big an effect as he only did the bushes and screws. But he said the change was instantly and obviously heard.

The parts are not expensive, so it's a pretty cheap mod doing just the tail piece bushes and screws.

You should let us know in a month or two that you're still liking the changed sound of your LP or not. :)

JVsearch said:
You should let us know in a month or two that you're still liking the changed sound of your LP or not. :)

Hi JV :p

Although I tell that history as a quick replacement, these mods were a slowly process of replacing one by one each part and hearing the results along a whole year.

Initially that guitar sounded good and was in the bright side. I wanted more overtones that were bright and sweet at the same time and a whole fuller tone.
I tested several bridges: Callaham steel ABR1, Faber, Pigtail Aluminum and even dirty cheap ones. All them were good, but different and you have to choose the one that best fits your guitar with what you are looking for.

In my case, changing to steel stoptail screws helped to produced those nice rich overtones, sweet, not harsh at all, that I was looking for.
And those steel bushings produced deeper bass and mids and more vibration and resonance to the whole guitar.

Not the least important thing for getting my tone was the strings heigh (about 2.2mm at the bass side and 2.0mm at the treble side at the 12 fret) and stopbar position and strings on top as photos show.

Diamond said:
How much do the bushes and tailpiece screws cost?

About $45 a set of a pair of screws and bushings from Pigtail.

Anyway, for those with brass bushings, Gotoh steel bushings are fine, fits into existing holes and are metric.

I think that LS-320 and higher models come with steel stoptail screws and perhaps also steel bushings. May somebody confirm this (or not)?

Those pigtail bushings look really cool installed. I like the way they are countersunk. Quality hardware. You must have a really refined ear, if you can hear the difference.

StugIII said:
Not the least important thing for getting my tone was the strings heigh (about 2.2mm at the bass side and 2.0mm at the treble side at the 12 fret).

That's higher than on my acoustics!

felixcatus said:

I love high strings on electrics! I don't not why, but that way you got a big tone and you feel the guitar resonates more.
And with strings on top of the stopbar there is less tension and it is easier to play and make bendings.

Paladin2019 said:
StugIII said:
Even my girlfriend noticed the change! :lol:

Ah friend, you are so naive... :lol:

According to internet there are thousands of girlfriends, wifes, mothers, etc that can hear infinitesimal differencies but still the number of before and after demo clips is almost zero :D

StugIII said:
felixcatus said:

I love high strings on electrics! I don't not why, but that way you got a big tone and you feel the guitar resonates more.
And with strings on top of the stopbar there is less tension and it is easier to play and make bendings.

Now I finally found a logical explanation for this lightness of bending. Longer string is looser ; -)

http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T3.html

Nice to know why mattim.
It?s a very nice guitar and the "aged" top treatment made it prettier. It sounds really nice with the Rolphs (it came wrongly with MKII).
I guess LS-320s have steel bushings as we found.

Latest posts

Back