Identifying a guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graemesham69

Reaction score
Hi, I know this has had a bit of work done to it, as you can see, but I believe its late 70s early 80s, if anyome could give me any info it would be fantastic. It belongs to a friend of mine who is a quite well known guitarist.received_3508418522777267.jpegreceived_766098595147976.jpegreceived_947632533355997.jpeg

Need to see the serial number and pics under the pickguard.

Without that all we can tell you is that the neck, if it’s actually a Tokai neck, probably dates from the very end of 1982 to present. That’s the period that decal has appeared on these. Assuming the decal is original. You can buy them on line.

Also it’s a bolt on neck and that body has a waist bevel. May be a Tokai maybe not. Need pics of the innards.

And we need the serial number to give us an age range. Pics of the pots would help with that.

Pics of the codes on the body and neck to see if both are Tokai and if they go together.

And the pickups would help re: the model if they are original.

Need to see the serial number and pics under the pickguard.

Without that all we can tell you is that the neck, if it’s actually a Tokai neck, probably dates from the very end of 1982 to present. That’s the period that decal has appeared on these. Assuming the decal is original. You can buy them on line.

Also it’s a bolt on neck and that body has a waist bevel. May be a Tokai maybe not. Need pics of the innards.

And we need the serial number to give us an age range. Pics of the pots would help with that.

Pics of the codes on the body and neck to see if both are Tokai and if they go together.

And the pickups would help re: the model if they are original.

Thanks for that, will get those details for you, I know the waist bevel was done after purchace, was too uncomfortable on stage, so Dave had it ground out and then repainted, I think there is a magazine with an interview with him and he explains what he did to the guitar, but I will get all the details as I will be at a show with him on Friday

cheers for your help thus far

Ahhhh. That makes more sense.

There actually were some Tokai teles with a contour like that in the early 80s but they had a tremolo bridge like a Strat.

Thanks for trying to get more info. Will do what I can to help you sort it out.

The things that would help narrow it down are photos of:

-the serial number
-the cavities under the pick guard showing a production code stamped in ink
-the end of the neck showing the ink stamped code ( have to take the neck off)
-any remaining original pots or pickups or wiring

Here are some examples:

IMG_0610-1.jpg
IMG_0605-1.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg

Tokai Tele 80s era

Last edited:
Back