I Need Info Yamaha LP lawsuit model.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salfordred

Reaction score
I figure this forum might be my best chance to get some info on this LP knockoff. All I get from the guys at the Les Paul forum is the usual defensive (it is'nt a Les Paul if it does'nt say Gibson on it) mumbo jumbo. Does anyone have any experience with this model. Specs are: Yamaha Lord Player 500 Standard, 1 piece Mahogany Set neck w/ small openbook headstock, rosewood fretboard w/ trapezoid inlays, very nice darkburst (not tobacco),not sure whether poly or laquer, three piece maple cap approx 1/2" at thickest, pancake body. I believe it was made in the mid to late seventies. Their later Studio Lord series have the Yamaha mustache headstock. This is a great guitar as are all the other Yamaha's I've played from this era. If anyone has any experience with this guitar, how do they fare against Love Rocks from the same period. The Yamaha is obviously not as authentic in construction as an old Love Rock, but it sure sounds great. Thanks guys!

I have a Studio Lord 450, set neck, ebony with cream pickguard and chrome parts. I adore it! It's about as heavy as my '75 Les Paul Standard and plays like a dream. I have Seymour Duncan '59s in it now and the tone is just a slice of heaven. I'd never sell it. I don't know how it compares to a Tokai of similar age, though, having never played one; that's my next goal! I have a 2001 Japanese Love Rock and I love it but the neck is much thicker, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Jenna

Hi,
I once owned a hand made prototype of the Yamaha Les Paul Custom in the 1970's. I bought it from a distributor. I was just an amazing axe. Easily as good as any "real" Les Paul I have played. In that I haven't played the top models of Tokai, I can't say, but I imaging it was on par with the Tokais. I have been kicking myself recently for selling it 20 years ago.
Cheers!
Rob

Latest posts

Back