I blame Villager

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianclark

Reaction score
A while back, Villager mentioned that he'd compared several replacement pickups in his Reborn (thread here) and that the Greco and Peter Florance Voodoo pickups had come out best.

Having read that thread and learned a bit about Peter Florance's pickups (and received some very helpful emails from PF himself) I decided to buy a pair of '59 Voodoos (more details here). Despite being perfectly satisfied with the stock pickups in my LS95F, I'm a sucker for trying new pickups... :roll:

Anyway... I did my usual routine of setting up a consistent amp tone and recording lots of identical clips before and after. I discovered that the stock Tokai pickups really are **** good (this is a 2006 model) and the PFVs have a very similar sound, but they're even better. In fact, I think first impressions of the '59 Voodoos could be quite misleading. I initially just found them to be crisp, clear and tight, but slightly more so than the stock Tokais, but over the past few weeks, my ears have become more attuned to the sweetness and detail in their sound. With a mildly overdriven amp sound, chords have an amazing "3D" clarity and at higher gain settings, the guitar's natural tone still rings through clearly.

I like it when these little things work out right :D

adrian

Latest posts

Back