Hey guys - what exactly is / was this ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a "remarkable" guitar - I've not seen such a mix of existing model features on one guitar since the early days of Japanese guitar building! Ric, Jaguar, Strat, LP it's all there. I wouldn't mind having a play of it actually! :)

Ozeshin said:
Was it reviewed as a production model Gabe?
Be handy if u could dig up the article.
And BT...we kinda rely on YOU Canadian and U.S. based guys to post up the links as you find them...if all of us do as Alan stated the auctions will be down in a day.
Hi Oze, if memory serves me well, it was a pre production model called the Tokai Tsunami I`ll have a look for the review but I fear i`ts long been turned to compost!Gabe.

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?PageName=BrowseGuitar
Check out the guitar used by by this retailer to illustrate a Tokai,it`s a Tsunami!Gabe.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20030320b7.html
Maybe they could have chosen a better name for this guitar!Gabe.

Looks like it might just have made it into production, but if it did, it wasn't for very long.

Here's a quote from the Registry news pages:

Last week at Music Messe in Germany Tokai announced 2 new models, the Love Rock II and the Tsunami. I've heard the Tsumani looks sorta like a Ric and I am expecting pictures soon.

Another from the second page of an article on Tokai UK:

Tokai UK has also designed two new models of electric guitar which were unveiled at the Frankfurt Music Exhibition, the Tsunami (big wave) and the Loverock 2, a double cutaway version of the standard Loverock. Response to the new models has been very good, especially towards the Loverock 2, with the next three months? production of this model all presold.

And a third from a luthier by the name of Martin Harrison (Hania Guitars):

In addition to working for my own customers, I was commissioned by Tokai to design and produce prototypes for two new models now in production - the Tsunami and the Love Rock II - described as their flagship guitar.

So putting all of that together, it looks as if Tokai UK commissioned Harrison to come up with a new design and had it made by Tokai Japan, but didn't sell or take orders for very many. Apart from the pic on the Reidy's website that Gabe turned up, and the one above, there aren't any other pics that I've been able to find. The "looks sorta like a Ric" fits, though.

Anyone from Tokai UK hanging around to confirm that?

Incidentally, it turns out that the same bloke also has/had a Hummingbird.

Maybe you should renegotiate, Dadio! Could be a genuine rarity.

BlueThird said:
Maybe you should renegotiate, Dadio! Could be a genuine rarity.

Oh Boy nooooooo way !! If it cant be 100% verified I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole. I've learned my lesson !!!!

BTW I posted a short report on it as a "Faiki" in ebay sightings etc ... along with it's origin.

Best regards ! Rob

Back