Help with Tokai ID

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo69

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Mateo and I'm a new member to the Tokai family!

I recently purchased a Tokai strat copy and need some help in ID'ing exactly what model it is.

The interesting thing is that this guitar has been around the world with Tuareg guitarist Bombino, which I found out after purchasing it.

Apparently, he preferred playing a Fender strat over this Tokai, but after receiving the Tokai the other day, I can tell why...the setup on the guitar was horrendous...almost unplayable...as well as alot of noise from the pickups.

I've already ordered a set of Fender Vintage noiseless pickups and some new bridge saddles to replace the corroded ones currently on it.

Any further tune-up ideas are appreciated!

image01.jpg

image03.jpg

image04.jpg

image06.jpg

It's really more of an AST-56 with a maple neck but you are correct that it has the pickguard from an AST-62. Looks like somebody replaced the tuners as well.

I'm confused by the different model numbers because the only real difference I see from the catalog page for 1985-1986 is that the AST-56 has an Alder body, Maple fingerboard and 8-hole pickguard and the AST-62 has an Ash body, Rosewood fingerboard and 11-hole pickguard.

But from almost every other catalog I've seen they offered the choice of Maple or Rosewood fingerboard for most models.

Also, as far as I can tell, the tuners are all original.

Back