Help please - can this be an ES-100 ? - solved nicely !

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumble

Reaction score
Hi folks,
first a big hello to everybody ! :D
I'm newly registered but have been lurking for a long time.
Recently I've been looking for an ES-100, 120 or similar and have been offered a new natural finish ES-100 (according to the seller).
I'm a bit suspicious though as some details seem to shout ES-60 instead of ES-100.
-- neck natural colour like the body instead of the darker brownish natural mahogany colour on vintage Gibsons and all ES-100s or ES-120s I've seen
-- wood grain not visible on the pix
-- headstock inlay plain white intead of pearl
-- 3 screws on trussrod cover
-- black switch tip, not aged brown
-- no orange label in the upper soundhole
-- no case included
Perhaps I'm overly suspicious, but I'd like to hear your opinion first.
Atm I'm leaning towards letting it go, the offer seems too good to be true.
Any comments much appreciated,
cheers,
stumble

Anybody selling a nice ES-100 or up in Europe ?
All offers welcome, might have some good guitars for trade, too, if anybody's interested

Three screws in trc = Korean made = ES60 (or whatever they are now)

along with most all of the other things you've listed above.

Marcus,
thanks for confirming my suspicion !
I'm expecting the seller's reply to the above questions tomorrow, pretty sure it's an unfortunate mix-up on their part, not bad will.

Anybody ever saw a natural MIJ ES-1xx with a non-mahogany-brown neck ?

Cheers,
stumble

stumble said:
Marcus,
thanks for confirming my suspicion !
I'm expecting the seller's reply to the above questions tomorrow, pretty sure it's an unfortunate mix-up on their part, not bad will.

Anybody ever saw a natural MIJ ES-1xx with a non-mahogany-brown neck ?

Cheers,
stumble

All I've ever seen have had a mahogany neck.....if it's maple, look out.

Thanks again,Marcus !
As somehow expected the guitar turned out to be a really beautiful ES-60. :cry:
Shame, would have been nice otherwise.
Nothing against Korea, but it wouldn't make much sense for me to buy that ES-60 and let it fight for its place against my '83 Sheraton (with 57 Classics) and '06 Gretsch RHH, both MIJ and both incredible guitars.
A MIJ ES-1xx would fit in nicely I'm sure. :)
Well, maybe next time ...
Cheers,
stumble

All's well that ends well, guess my search is over !
Today a real beauty was in the mail, a genuine ES-120 (2005) in natural, wow, what a guitar !
Tone for days, not too skinny neck, and rather unusual body wood for a 120, almost plain but with a hint of very subtle flame and some darker "mineral streaks" which give it a rather unique personality.
This ES is closer to a real '59 visually than almost any other guitar, Gibson or copy, I've seen lately.
Even with the stock PUs it has that certain "squishy" attack that's the mark of a rely great sounding axe for me.
Unexpectedly I'll keep the Mk IIs for now and see how they grow on me, I have other guitars with Classic 57s or Pearly Gates to compare, but my first impression is quite good.
tokai3351yp0.jpg

tokai3353mt7.jpg

Just thought I'd share my enjoyment with you folks,
cheers,
stumble
Oh, btw, the photos are courtesy of Music Station Oldenburg / Germany, hope you guys don't mind ! :wink:

Back