Help identify Greco EFG 850 super real ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titi23

Reaction score
hi , new to this forum , i have today an oppurtunity to by a greco super real EGF 850 according to the seller
The prob is the logo has worn off on the head stock and really we can't tell wether it is a greco , the serial number looks like it is though ...
i also have a doubt on the model (egf 850 ?) i am trying to post the pics
if someone is expert in these models could help that would be really nice
thanx
viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

884570DSC00721024x768.jpg

viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

Hi, welcome to the forum !

What would most easily identify this Greco as an EGF - 850 appears like they might have been replaced ... The original Maxon "PU-2" back stamped pickups.

Fret edge binding, cherry burst color, veneer flame top pattern, Greco Deluxe tuners, black pickup cavity paint are consistent with EGF-850 model specs.
Because I don't think pickups are original, I would try to get evidence of nitro finish, like nitro finish crazing or checking in places, or confirmation of a nitro acetone test.
EG-800 GT + EGF-850 models and up, all have nitro instead of polyester finish found on lower models.

The fret board looks like regular rosewood instead of Brazilian, which by itself wouldn't necessarily raise flags... some Braz boards are quite unremarkable.
The Greco logo should be a pearloid inlay, not gold paint, and shouldn't wear off like the Super Real script might.
A 1980 EGF in this serial range would have a dowel tenon, regardless of the model number.

hi reborn , thx for your help
well the seller told me the original pus (normally PU 2) have been replaced ( dry z at the neck and dimarzio at the bridge) , i also include another pic of the fretboard , as it could be a braz rosewood
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=651674DSC00781024x768.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=841434DSC00771024x768.jpg

but the problem is that logo :eek: ; if all greco are pearloid inlays, this guitar couldn't be a greco then ( that's a bit strange , unless the logo had been refinned ?)

That is a Greco, 100% sure.
Do you have a picture of the front of the body?
And maybe one of the control cavity?

PS the nitro on these Greco's can't be whiped off easily, so you might think it's poly while it's not.

hi jacco , apparently u should be right , seller just replied that when he bought it , the logo was covered with a Gibson decalco, that 's what the pic is showing ( not a greco logo but a gibson logo worn off....
shame that some guys disguise the original logo to make the guitar look like a gibson !!!!

FWIW, here's a pic of my 1980 EGF-850 headstock for comparison purposes...
(My tuners were replaced with Schallers, while the one you are looking at has the correct Greco Deluxe tuners)
Let me know if you would like any other pics.

7906936038_2d49306cc6_b.jpg

Very nice top!
Without the pickups this still can be either an 850 or a 1000.
Does the seller still have the original pickups?

thx reborn ! apparently headstocks have the same shape , last thing that now makes me think it s likely a greco is the serial : 0 ( year 1980) + 4 digits ( maybe sequence of the run)
do u know if anyother brand than greco had this serialization ?

thanx

no jacco , pu 2 pick ups replaced with dry z (neck ) and dimarzio (bridge)
he told me he bought this one from a collector that had at least 20 grecos hahahha , he should be here in the forum i guess :wink:

That's that one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greco-EGF-850-Super-real-1980-Upgraded-with-Dry-Z-and-Dimarzio-DP-100-1979-/261115963527?pt=Guitar&hash=item3ccbb96887
Signed by the best french blues guitar player

titi23 said:
no jacco , pu 2 pick ups replaced with dry z (neck ) and dimarzio (bridge)
he told me he bought this one from a collector that had at least 20 grecos hahahha , he should be here in the forum i guess :wink:

yes, but I meant; did he replace them himself or did he buy this guitar like this. Does he still have the pickups or pcitures of them? That way it can be positively IDd as EGF-850.

hi jacco , he did replace the pus himself, actually he first replaced the PU-2 with a set of dry-z and then sold the bridge dry-z (shame....) to put a dimarzio dp 100 instead
but i guessed right yesturday , i did a research on his ebay account , and he did buy this one last year from mark (aka villager), maybe he can confirm

titi23 said:
hi , new to this forum , i have today an oppurtunity to by a greco super real EGF 850 according to the seller
The prob is the logo has worn off on the head stock and really we can't tell wether it is a greco , the serial number looks like it is though ...
i also have a doubt on the model (egf 850 ?) i am trying to post the pics
if someone is expert in these models could help that would be really nice
thanx
viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

884570DSC00721024x768.jpg

viewer.php

viewer.php

viewer.php

In this first picture, there seems to be a crack of the veneer top, at the binding in the cutaway? Is that problematic? I have read these tend to have problems with delamination of the top..

i once had a chambered body super real ,,, dont know if it was a eg450 or eg500 ...i think it was from 1982
not a good guitar ,,,,, heavy even with the chambered body ,,,
came in some kind of tobbaco burst ,, with u 1000 i think
not the best greco i have had ,,, looked like some thing that was made just before weekend in a hurry sold it long time ago
all the best

Latest posts

Back