Guilty guitar cash flow eek

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJzT

Reaction score
I got extremely bored yesterday and decided to crunch some numbers on my GAS over the years. And put my reporting head to good use.

The overall figure was pretty shocking, since 1993 when i started playing, its just under nine grand eek. Net loss against, everything ive sold and what i currently own (based on market valuations, ive probably been harsh on some of these). I was looking at a loss of ?2400. But then if you divide that figure by the number of years, its a ?160 loss a year

Still how much is a season ticket these days :p

Anybody else care to share? It's quite interesting when you start looking at it.....honestly. You can sort by manufacturer, the major one for me was Line6 gear. So buyer beware. It made me think two things really

a) i need to write down all my serial numbers
b) really should look at getting some insurance on the gear for when i play live

btw im just about to buy a jamman stereo pedal and maybe a tremolo pedal ha ha

Haha, yeah dont blame you. Like i said it was mainly boredom on my part.
it's amazing how much gear you can forget. I've been remembering pedals all day today, "remember that modded Ce-2 you had dave, and the octave multiplexor" . So i dont think its 100% accurate ha

I mean some things you cant quantify, like the stress relief from playing. And the enjoyment factor, well thats my excuse to myself i think :lol:

The downside apart from the stupid financial losses is the gear you've sold on, that you wished you hadnt. For me it was the dod phasor (analog one similar to the malmsteem od pedal), the strat plus in cream with rosewood board and the trace elliot speed twin. Im trying to hang onto gear slightly longer these days. I cant see that im going to need any more or different guitar pedals.
Ive always admired Tom Morello for sticking with his same set up, he said to himself "now this is my gear, its my job to be as creative as possible with this". My trouble is I always think a better sound is around the corner....Should be in my fingers not a box

i think any hobby has casualties of war so to speak. I mean i was thinking at least i stopped playing video games 15 years ago 8)

I think 160 quid a year is pretty low rental for a load of gear. That's the way I think of GAS. If I lose money on something, then I was just renting it for a while. :wink: If I make money, then I'm a master capitalist.

The only one I felt bad about was my old Fernandes Revival Mary Kaye that Gabe mugged me for...

Living in NZ has kind of killed my gear churn, as the market for guitars is tiny. I lose money on pretty much everything over here.

Latest posts

Back