Greco Rock Spirits ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering (not buying just wondering) about this one too.

Grecomaniac is this what you were talking about with glued bolt-on necks

c6_3.JPG

I've got some Rock Spirits serial numbers 5 1747 and 1 2061.
They would be from the 1980's with serials like that I think.
5 1747 = 1985, 1 2061 = 1981.
I think they are odd cheap Grecos that didn't sell well because there doesn't seem to be many around.

I have a 1985 (serial number 5 ****) Greco Rock Spirits and although I'm not a fan of laminate tops, I made an exception for this particular Greco Les Paul.

I would in no way consider the example that I own in the same regard as an earlier member's post that stated, "they are odd cheap Grecos" because mine is a very well made guitar, and I am very picky.

Some quality attributes of my Rock Spirits are;
(1) a perfectly center seamed 2 piece mahogany body back
(2) a 1 piece mahogany neck (very small scarf in heel)
(3) long neck tenon
(4) correct vintage style Kluson key tuners with the push in head stock face bushings (not those cheesy screw type bushings that Greco used on so many of there Lesters)
(5) steel braided wire pickups
(6) factory large frets
(7) don't know what the material is but the neck inlays are excellent & the head stock face has the veneer piece
I don't know about the other guy but that's a lot of quality attributes, and believe me, this thing screams quality.

The one I own looks to be all original except that I added a Burny RLG truss rod cover & a Burny RLG pick guard.

The oxidation on the pickup covers, bridge, stop tail, and the tuners are all very uniform and it looks old; just a great old vintage look.

There are also two extra added bonuses with mine; (1) the weight is a nice 8 lbs. 9 ozs. and (2) the top color is NOT cherry sunburst, it's a lemon drop :)

If I could locate another one this good I'd buy the ***** in a heartbeat.

People have nearly begged me to sell this guitar; it's embarrassing. You would not believe how many people go nuts over this thing. It's crazy................ 8)

GrecoRSBodyTop.jpg

GrecoRSFretBoard.jpg

GrecoRSHeadStock.jpg

I could have put it a bit better.
What I meant by odd is that some of them seem to have a bolt on and glued in neck and what I meant by cheap is in relation to the top line Grecos. I think the Rock Spirits were sold for 55000 Yen and 70000 Yen so they are low to middle pricing.
Your Rock Spirits looks great and I would buy one if I came across one.

.....one thing I did forget to mention is that this one doesn't have the funky 'bolt on' neck; that is some wierd stuff that Greco came up with........

I can understand the price points of the Greco line back in the day; say compare the 'Rock Spirits' Lester to say an EGF-1200, and the MSRP costs difference was probably roughly around 60,000 yen, or in todays dollars roughly $500 USD.

Now, consider the current price point of a EGF-1200; villager has 3 @ 1,400, 1,400, & 1,450 STR, which is roughly $2,775 USD.

Now, consider the current price point of a Rock Spirits; say it's $800 for the sake of debate.

Subtract the current cost of the Rock Spirits ~ $800 from the ~ $2,775 for a EGF-1200 and now in 2007 the cost difference is FOUR TIMES what it was when these two models were new and being produced.

Let's compare the two models further: each has a laminate top, I have seen some of each model with center seam 2 piece backs, each has 1 piece neck, long tenon, and this is where things start getting different.

In 2007 dollars you get DRY Z pickups & fret binding for the extra $2K.

I think I'll go with the Rock Spirits and keep the extra $2K for ammunition & tequila.......................................................

Here's a shot of a 1985 Greco 'Rock Spirits', serial number 5 16**

This was taken today, just after installation of new strings & just before packaging, for shipment to the buyer/new owner.

I prefer Lesters in the 8.5 to 9.0 lb. range, and have found ones in the range to be the ones with the acoustic & sonic response I desire.

The below cherry burst Rock Spirits is 9 lb. 10 oz. It does however have the desired acoustic & sonic response, and is an exception to the rule.
I really should have kept this one. We all make mistakes...............

GrecoRockSpiritsCherry.jpg

Here's a shot of a 1985 Greco 'Rock Spirits', serial number 5 18**

This one is only 213 serial number digits apart from the above cherry burst example.

I prefer the flame veneer on the cherry example more, as the flame on this lemon drop seems to 'fade' in & out, which the veneer flame on the cherry burst does not do. This lemon drop example does however have a fatter neck, and I like the weight of this one. It's 8 lb. 9 oz. and has a very nasal like tone, all while having the bite of tone that a heavier Lester is known for.

GrecoRSBodyTop.jpg

I will say one thing about the cherry burst; it's one heck of a great Les Paul, it's all original, in excellent condition, sounds awesome, and plays very nice. I hope the new owner really enjoys it, because if you don't, you can always send it back :wink:

Wow! Great post. Those are some good looking guitars. I wonder where that cherry burst is going. :wink:

I now have only 1 EGF-1200 left... and its not for sale...

must be some reason why people want them....

its in a different class to the rock spirit.....lol

you forgot nitro finish and a huge neck too....

when comparing price you forget that theres a 15 year time difference between the production of both guitars ..so the EGF-1200 is way more than twice the price of a Rock spirit in real terms...

:)

Yes, the EGF1200 does have a Brazilian board, fret binding, DryZ pups, and a nitro finish, all of which a Rock Spirits does not have.

I'm sure the EGF1200s are great Les Pauls. I'm sure that, plus their rarity, reflects the price range of $1700 to $3500 I have seen them run in.

If someone is equipped with the knowledge, and connections, then they may possibly purchase one from Japan at the lower end of that range. If not, they may possibly purchase one from Europe in the $2600+ range.

Or, in some rare cases we've seen people purchase them from Japan for $3500 :roll:

What ever the case may be, the EGF1200 is a rare Les Paul, with many high end attributes, and they are not cheap in cost, nor or they that easy to come by.

As far as age, I believe the Rock Spirits that I sold, and the EGF1200 on your web site are 5 years apart in production, 1985 and 1980 respectively. I think 15 years is a stretch.

What attributes do the EGF1200 and the Rock Spirits have in common? The main items would be the Greco name of course, a multi piece body back, and a flame veneer top, and a 1 piece maho neck with the long tenon.

I wouldn't neccessarily consider a multi piece bodied Les Paul, with a flame laminate top veneer, attributes of a high end Les Paul with a price tag of which the EGF1200s now command. That's not to say however that a Les Paul with those attributes could not be a great guitar.

I guess what it all boils down to is that many people might rather keep the extra $700 to $1700, or more dollars, in their pockets, and acquire something that is comparable in nature to the higher priced item, that does indeed share some of the same attributes.

Not a Greco expert and never tried any of both models you're talking about.Will let know my points of view.
One time you try a higher end MIJ model(I have Tokai experience only) you'll never look down.Yes ,"lower" models are very nice and pro guitars but not the same as high end.I have told several times not my like such money for a 1200 but after all is all "economy affairs" demand and offer thing.I really want a Tokai Reborn LS-120 but cannot pay more than 1200 euro(I know they are great however).As far as there are collectors the price will go up and up and I feel this great for teh brand but bad for myself :cry: ....

To me the low to midrange MIJ's are attractive because of the lower price. I hate everything that Gibson is all about these days but I would buy a historic before I would spend $2600 -$3000 on a MIJ. It stinks though. We have a high end store here in town. I pulled 15 Les Paul's of the hook and out of them I found one I liked. It was an 57 Gold Top Historic and this thing would hunt. I could have walked with it for $2700. I also found a nice used one a while back for $1950. Even though the high end MIJ may be better crafted I would still go with the Historic. I don't claim to always be smart but my guess is a lot of people would do the same thing.

Smokin' Tone said:
To me the low to midrange MIJ's are attractive because of the lower price. I hate everything that Gibson is all about these days but I would buy a historic before I would spend $2600 -$3000 on a MIJ. It stinks though. We have a high end store here in town. I pulled 15 Les Paul's of the hook and out of them I found one I liked. It was an 57 Gold Top Historic and this thing would hunt. I could have walked with it for $2700. I also found a nice used one a while back for $1950. Even though the high end MIJ may be better crafted I would still go with the Historic. I don't claim to always be smart but my guess is a lot of people would do the same thing.

Smokin', You make a very good point on the issue of price.
Who want's to pay 2 or 3 times as much (or more) for something that will basically do the same job (a guitar is a tool after all), and that will also offer the buyer basically the same enjoyment, as far as playing a good, quality guitar?

A lot of us here aren't made out of money, myself included :(

I know what you're saying about Gibson, and the same goes for Fender, they both suck eggs in my book. They make over priced junk, and that's fine for folks that want to purchase such. The great advantage that Gibson & Fender have (besides name recognition of course) is that they are spitting out their over priced junk in exponential numbers so, the market is flooded with their crap. Anyone, can go just about anywhere, and find over priced big G & big F guitars all day long.

Conversely, locating an older, comparable, and good quality MIJ product is sometimes not so easy to do. This is what people need to understand, and appreciate, when it comes to the opportunity of obtaining something that is no longer manufactured, that has an enduring quality, particularlly when the example is in original, and excellent condition.

I'm like you; I don't want the low end stuff, and I'm not gonna fork over the extra $$$ just to get into the higher end product, for the sake of doing so. That's why I'm in the middle groud where you're at; it's the perfect balance of good quality, and bang for the buck $anity.

Here's another perfect example. I sold this 1981 Greco 'Super Power' gold top about 9 months ago, to an eBay member in Hawaii. He passed the opportunity to use the 'By It Now' and bidding went over the BIN price by $100 plus. It ended at over $1100, plus shipping costs. When the buyer recieved the Greco, he was thrilled :) He eventually sent me an email stating that a friend of his had a Gibson Historic gold top, and that his friend had played his Greco, that he purchased from me. He went on to state that his friend was now looking for a Greco gold top.
Now, what does that tell you? 8)

This example did have changed tuners but was otherwise original, had a center seam 2 pc. back, FAT 1 piece maho neck with some nice figuring, incredible playability & sound, and a fantastic relic look from years of playing; it put a Murphy to shame for about $4K less :lol:

SuperPowerGold-FretEdgeBinding.jpg

SuperPowerGold-Top2.jpg

SuperPowerGold-Top.jpg

SuperPowerGold-NeckBack.jpg

SuperPowerGold-HeadFront.jpg

SuperPowerGold-HeadBack.jpg

SuperPowerGold-EndGrain.jpg

SuperPowerGold-Cutaway.jpg

SuperPowerGold-Back.jpg

GrecoTOPpartial1.jpg

Back