greco pickup ID

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebtones

Reaction score
dry1982.jpg

hi guys, bought a pair of greco p/ups recently, identical looking to the one in the pic(except w/ gold cover) but with no stamps unfortunately. one p/up measures 7.81k and the other is 7.82k. can anyone please help me with an ID? thanks
BTW ive looked everywhere for some greco p/up impedance specs to attempt an ID but unfortunately nothing.[/i]

hi
with out a stiker on the pickup or you know witch model guitar it came from it is not easy to id .... the stop putting stickers some time in the late 80 .....but look at the forum ther is some talk about greco pickups if you look :wink: :wink:
i got a pair from ebay some time ago .... no sticker ... but great sound :wink:
all the best
otto

Check if its ceramic or alnico.
That is a start atleast. Screamin 82 are very common and they are ceramic.

sebtones said:
how do i tell what type of magnets the pickups have?

Ceramic magnets are nonconductive; Alnico are conductive. That is, the body of the magnet itself. You have to be able to get test probes to the magnet itself. Really high resistance will make it ceramic.

Ceramic magnets are black, alnico magnets look like metal, ceramic magnets usually less conductive, alnico are usually more conductive

NB
1. The higher the gauss level in the magnet the hotter the pickup is.
2. The higher the magnetic strength the better the sound.... 8)

Mick51 said:
sebtones said:
how do i tell what type of magnets the pickups have?

Ceramic magnets are nonconductive; Alnico are conductive. That is, the body of the magnet itself. You have to be able to get test probes to the magnet itself. Really high resistance will make it ceramic.
above what number would be classed 'high resistance'?
does anyone have the measurements for screamin' p/ups please?

My Screamin' 82s have 7.5kΩ (neck) and 7kΩ (bridge) DC resistance. I reported them as ~8.5kΩ in another post, but must have mismeasured.

I put AlNiCo IV magnets in them and they're awesome.

Latest posts

Back