GRECO-mint collection EG59-? 1983

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Hello folks,
New guitar day,just finished cleaning a GRECO mint collection EG59-?,MAN it took me three hours to clean the crap off it ,dirty black ciggie tar and dirt.
Now it is shining like a new penny :lol: anyway here is the details ,i think it is a EG59-65 going by specs and the mint collection catalogue of 1983.
It has fret binding,screaming 82 in the bridge ,it is stickered ,the front pup is the same but looks wax potted .

It has a 2-piece back ,solid 2 piece maple top ,long neck tennon.gold GRECO logo on the headstock,black caps in control cavity,
Very nice inlays & GRECO deluxe tuners.Very well made and not too heavy.
27112009366.jpg

27112009368-1.jpg

27112009376-1.jpg

27112009375.jpg

27112009391.jpg

Is it a EG59-65?off to put some new strings on it and give it a little twang.

MOJO HOBO

I have a twin to this one. Same year, same burst, same everything.
Mine has the sticker left and it says 600.

It is one of the best Greco guitars I have ever played.
Its tonal character is magic...Love it!
It sings and sings and sings.
Slapped the strings on it and a EGF1200 at the same time, the 600 sang and vibrated far longer than the 1200 (well, that test could be scrutinized and questioned but it made my day :D )

ok Looked at the greco mint collection 1983 catalogue again,this time i actually read it,oopps! some threads here and there,I am sure it is a eg59-50 now,The eg59-65 had a veneer flame top.Could only be a eg59-50 as the higher model reg59-70 never had screamers.

The guitar is the twin of one that MIJVINTAGE had and then sold that got refinished.

MOJO HOBO

AH you posted at the same time koubayashi,a eg59-600.that is fantastic ,thank you very much you really made my day!
I think i payed a little over the odds for this one because some one else was being as stubborn as me and kept out bidding me on it,i dug my heels in ,and here she is.
never had time to put any new strings on today,will do tomorrow at some point,cannot wait now after what you said .

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

MOJO HOBO

hey MOJO, very nice Greco plain top there :)

the 1983 MC I had http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13534 was an EG500; had the sticker on the base/back of the head stock

It had Screamin 1982 pups

Thank you MIJ.
Yeap it is my first GRECO and very happy i am too with it.Was hoping it might be a higher mint collection model because of the FEB,but that means nothing, with all the variations of specs that exsist, outside the realms of the japanese guitar companies catalogues.
Think i like the idea that it is a eg59-60/eg59-600. :wink:

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Thank you MIJ.
Yeap it is my first GRECO and very happy i am too with it.Was hoping it might be a higher mint collection model because of the FEB,but that means nothing, with all the variations of specs that exsist, outside the realms of the japanese guitar companies catalogues.

MOJO HOBO

Mine has FEB as well.
But it is a hell of a guitar!!
I am sure your's is as great!

**** nice! Similar to the one I had and recently sold also...I only paid $150 for the one below & I kind of miss it! I am sure I will buy another one down the road...yes, yes I will. :p

img1626mh.jpg

img1625bp.jpg

mojo hobo said:
Thank you MIJ.

MOJO HOBO
Hey mojo, Saw your post on MLP. cool guitar huh! Yeah my 82' EG59-70 has a FEB aswell alot of the early Mint collection had it and mine has a fatter neck than most of the later Mint collections. Enjoy it! :D
P1010033.jpg

Cheers NW ,you had an eg59-700, my greco is very simular looking to yours as well ,what pickups did yours have dirtys or screamers.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Cheers NW ,you had an eg59-700, my greco is very simular looking to yours as well ,what pickups did yours have dirtys or screamers.

MOJO HOBO
Yeah, There pretty much the same guitar! The only differnce is Dirty Trick 1982 pickups and this is the only mint collection I've had, that came with a stock aluminum tailpiece. :D

I have the same guitar. Except that it has the "SuperReal" printed on the head stock with serial number "2 0245". The pickups are the screamin 82 :)

dscf12380.jpg

dscf1232.jpg

dscf1241t.jpg

dscf1246q.jpg

dscf1234e.jpg

Back