Greco Clear Sound Project

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about Greos.

Was Kanda Shokai a typical distributor for Grecos, or is this a special line they handled within the Mint Collection?

yes I have had a few 335's like that ..Its basically a follow on from the mint collection, with the SA-90 and above models having a nitro finish, hot PU's too, possibly same specs as DRY-1982..but possibly not...no stickers at all,

also in the late 80's and 90's the higher greco models sometimes came as stock with duncans in them..
Maybe ask villager?

Sigmania, Greco is a (or "the") brand of Kanda Shokai and all these guitars were meant for the JDM only, they were never into the export business with the Greco brand except for the "bizarre" era, when they may have exported some "Shrike" models.

Unlike the "Mint Collection" moniker, the "Clear Sound Project" name doesn't seem to have made it into the catalogs and and while they are obviously a short-lived continuation of the Mint Collection, that title only showed up on stickers in the semi-hollows so far, so this does not look like a successor to the Mint Collection series.

Thank you for a very interesting consideration.
The image below is my 1990 SA-75.
It features a cut O Greco logo, a chevron truss rod cover,
a rounded lower part crown inlay that was slightly transformed from the original.
Almost the mint collection itself, but the label and model number have changed.

View attachment 12388View attachment 12389View attachment 12390View attachment 12391View attachment 12392View attachment 12393View attachment 12394

Somewhat similar grain pattern on this 100J

Used 1980-1981 Tokai ES-100J Sunburst MIJ Vintage ES-335 Lacquer W/HSC | eBay

IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2063.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your info.

When compared side by side in this way,
the characteristics of the two grains seem to be quite different,
but what do you think?
20230416_093158.jpg

Last edited:
To me, it looks like a form of bird's eye.

Beautiful guitars, both of them.

Congratulations.

Back