Got me some Dry Zs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triniloverock

Reaction score
Won this YJ auction today!
Hoping to put them in an EGF 850 or 1000 in the near future:

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c286070933

572x600-2011022400015.jpg

**** that's pricey!
Could you measure them when you get them? It says around 8kohm but I don't think so for 1980 Dry Zs, should be around 7.5-6.

Nice "relic" look to them - you just can't get new pickups to look cool like that!

That's the going price - $500, not too bad IMO. I've seen sellers asking more than that (don't know whether they sell or not).
Although, you'll have some fees and shipping costs.

There's plenty of boutique PAFs that are in the $300 to $400 range, so it's not an insane amount.

IIRC the asking price on here has usually been higher than that?
(Obviously there's less risk and no Rinkya fees buying them here, so that's worth some $$)

I will pay about $600 US to get it to me after Rinkya fees and shipping.
All worth it to me, since if I marry them with an EGF 850 or 1000 I am still saving money rather than buying an EGF 1200.

triniloverock said:
Last set I saw on there, was selling for 40,000 yen with a 50,000 BIN:

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d114294736

Got taken off before I could bid, so I am sure they sold privately.
Considering 33 bids went out on my pair I would say alot of people are looking for them, so grabbing them for less than 30,000 is highly unlikely these days.

33 bids but only 3 bidders over 30000. Thats not a lot.
I think in general prices go over 30k only when westerns are involved in the bidding.

Same with most auctions actually.
Last week I pulled a dead mint Orville by Gibson 57ri for 80k and today I got a wrecked one for 60k. Today there was a gaijin bidding.

I bought 5 or 6 sets last year for less than 30k.
But sometimes two buyers want the same item and then the price goes up. Then I stop bid soon cause most people show tendencies towards serious gambling problems :D

However, if you feel you made a good deal and that these pickups are what you are looking for then its worth the extra money! Have fun and I hope they lift your 850!

I hope they are what they are cracked up to be.
For now it looks like it will be an EGF 1000, once I pull the trigger.
Finally a burst in my collection.
I have been back and forth on getting either a Tokai or Greco, but these EGFs (and Dry-Zs) did it for me.

Koubayashi said:
Last week I pulled a dead mint Orville by Gibson 57ri for 80k and today I got a wrecked one for 60k. Today there was a gaijin bidding.

Only one gaijin? Do you mean two? :wink:

wulfman said:
Koubayashi said:

Never know how many they are when they bid with Rinkya.

Hitogomi????

Koubayashi said:
wulfman said:
Koubayashi said:

Never know how many they are when they bid with Rinkya.

Hitogomi????

多分そうい現象ですね。

It's always easy to say " price is too high" or "I bought 10 sets for half that price"... :evil:
of course it is easier for people living in Japan or with a scout located in Japan as it is for someone in Europe trying to buy from yahoo.What about helping forum members buying directly from Japan instead of buying even the eleventh set and sell it with profit later :wink:

t.olsen said:
It's always easy to say " price is too high" or "I bought 10 sets for half that price"... :evil:
of course it is easier for people living in Japan or with a scout located in Japan as it is for someone in Europe trying to buy from yahoo.What about helping forum members buying directly from Japan instead of buying even the eleventh set and sell it with profit later :wink:

I help forum members with lots of things. Just the other week I sent an old Japanese pickup ring to a Canadian member (without taking a penny despite he wanted to pay). But I'd never reveal my "secrets" when it comes to shopping old junk in Japan :wink:

I believe I have become fairly good at trolling the YJ and other Japanese websites for vintage gear, so I am happy with my purchase.
I am glad for the insight and help from those here, and yes there are critics, but hey, we are all different :D

triniloverock said:
I believe I have become fairly good at trolling the YJ and other Japanese websites for vintage gear, so I am happy with my purchase.
I am glad for the insight and help from those here, and yes there are critics, but hey, we are all different :D

Well, in the end of the day you bought something you wanted and its not like its a lot of money. That is experiment money in my opinion :D

It all depends if you want to own something very urgently and especially if you need it fast.I know guys buying gear under GAS and paying more than necessary just to get it as fast as possible instead of waiting a few weeks and get a better price ;-) To be honest if I want something really bad I do not care about the money... :oops:

jacco said:
Yeah but the last set on YJ went for 27.000

Oh... that's a pretty good deal I would think. Maybe some uncertainty surrounding that particular pair?

I've given up looking for them, but the cheapest I ever saw was 34k, but that was over a year ago.

Back